Small liposuction surgery for a 19 year old girl?

I'm 19 years old, very active and athletic. I workout about 4 times a week. If not, I'm out playing soccer, snowboarding, paintballing, bodyboarding, or running. I have had trouble getting rid of my love handles though- theyre not HUGE but they're probably adding on a good 3-4 inches on my waist/hips. I am 5'3 and 120 lbs. Would this be a safe treatment for me to undergo, if so, why or why not? & how much would this treatment cost? PS: I also want to get my nose done! Check pic out and let me know what you think!

Liposuction for localized area of love handle on 19 year old

+1

You seem to be an ideal candidate, if your health is good and there are no medications you take that would interfere with the procedure.  Localized deposits of adipose tissue that can't be reduced with diet and exercise can be treated with liposuction, but why do you have three inches? If this is too much for your frame, then there still is the question regarding your energy in (calories) and energy used ( exercise and basal metabolic rate).

You should investigate this question of calories and energy used, first,at your young age before liposuction, otherwise if you are in a positive caloric balance after the liposuction, those extra calories will still need to go somewhere, and it will become transformed into fat and placed back to some extent on the love handles and maybe elsewhere as well. If you see a nutritionist and they determine that your calorie intake doesn't need adjustment, then your basal metabolic energy expended should be examined. Are your thyroid levels OK, if low, you're not using as much energy as you would normally and weight can be gained. Other causes can contribute to this so an endocrinologist can be seen. Once this is all sorted out, and you're committed to a healthy living routine, then liposuction could be a good option.

There is also a non-invasive procedure, called  CoolSculpting by Zeltiq.  Without surgery, there can be a 20% reduction in volume after one treatment, the result of which can be seen at four months. It does NOT provide the same reduction as liposuction and some patients will undergo the treatment a few times.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/liposuction/index.html

Liposuction of the flanks is a safe and effective procedure, surgery, #beauty, #Zeltiq, #coolsculpting

+1

Dear Apalacios,

Thank you for your question.  Liposuction is very effective for extra fat on the love handles.  With careful contouring an excellent result can be achieve with minimal pain and downtime.  A post operative garment is worn for 1 to 2 weeks and you can resume your usual activities immediately after surgery.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Web reference: http://www.drtrevorborn.com

Liposuction

+1

Yes I think you would be an excellent candidate for liposuction.  Liposuction works best for a targeted area with fat excess that has not responded to traditional efforts.  You sound like an excellent candidate.

Web reference: http://www.sacs-sa.com

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

5'1 and 115 lbs very curvery figure -What Size Implant Should I Get?

+1

Great dress but I still do not know what you look like! Best to see a few boarded PS's in person. But yes you can have liposuction. 

You sound like you are a good candidate

+1

Liposuction is ideal for patient who are in good shape and have one or two pockets of fat that they can not get rid off.  The love handles is the most common area. Other areas are the outer and inner thigh and upper arm.  Good luck

Liposuction for small areas

+1

An additional 3-4 inches added to your waist is not a small amount needing Liposuction. This amount, though, does require finesse. You should, however, do well in the hands of an experienced Plastic Surgeon. Check for credentials and experience before making an appointment, as there are many non-surgeons now offering Liposuction with some new machine they bought.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction in Adolescents

+1

Hello Apalacios,

Thank you for the photograph and the description of your lifestyle and your situation.  The ideal candidate for liposuction is someone who is at, or close to, their ideal body weight, and who's weight is stable.  Additionally, there should be areas that have a disproportionate amount of fat relative to the rest of your body, and the overlying skin elasticity is good.  These candidates will get the best result possible from a liposuction procedure.

From your description, you are active and have a localized problem (hips/love handles).  I think that liposuction has the potential of being a satisfying surgery for you.  It would certainly be safe as well, because a relatively small volume of fat would need to be removed (perhaps a liter), and the procedure would not take a long time (about 45 minutes).

You should have a few consultations with surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and preferably are also members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.  You can get an idea of all the risks, benefits, and alternatives to liposuction.  Additionally, you can get an idea about rhinoplasty as well, and the possibility of combining surgeries, as is done so frequently.

I wish the best of luck to you!

Small areas of lipodystrophy are absolutely good areas for successful liposuction

+1

Liposuction is a great tool to sculpt areas of fat deposits in the body. If it is fat and you can draw the area then it can be removed. It is not unusual for active healthy people that are not generally fat to have small areas of fat deposits that they can not get off dieting and exercise. These are great areas for liposuction. Many of these patients would be made fun of if they told some one they were going to have liposuction. They also however are some of the very happiest patients I have treated. They have worked so hard to get the body image they are looking for, can't get there, but along comes liposuction and the problem is fixed. 

Just make sure you see a experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon you are comfortable with. 

Web reference: http://www.drlentz.com

Small liposuction may give big results

+1

Don't count out the small liposuction, as we often feel that this is where we can be the greatest results. Liposuction can give accurate sculpturing of well defined fat deposits such as those over the hip and love handle. At a young age we are focusing on inherited body shape, that which will not change with diet and exercise, and small amounts of liposuction can have a huge impact.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/liposuction

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.