I Had a Small Lipoma Removed from Forehead. 3 Days Later, Swelling & Bruising in the Corner of my Eye & Nose. Normal?

I Had a Small Lipoma Removed from my Forehead.  After 3 Days I Developed Swelling & Bruising in the Corner of my Eye & Nose. H Is this cause for concern? I've been using ice to reduce the swelling, but, it's hard to do for any length of time, if I want to see. How long will the bruising swelling last?

Bruising of eyelid after lipoma excision

Developing bruising of the eyelid after lipoma excision is not uncommon. This can be a collection of blood which drained down along the subcuateous tissues. It likely will resolve without treatment over the next few weeks.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

6025 4th Street North
St. Petersburg, FL 33703

Bruising of the eyelids is common after forehead lipoma removal

Most forehead lipomas are subgaleal (under the forehead muscle).  When the lipoma is removed, a small amount of blood will inevitably seep downward (with gravity) to the upper eyelids.  Blood trapped beneath the skin will cause bruising.  This is common and should resolve within 10 to 14 days.  

Keep in mind, however, that if your forehead is quite swollen and the bruising is severe, you should see your surgeon.  This could be a sign that you are forming a hematoma (collection of blood) at the surgical site.

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

6124 West Parker Road
Plano, TX 75093