I Have a Small Keloid on my Chest. What Are my Treatment Options?

I used to have a mole; however, it was removed resulting in a keloid. I also have a dark border surrounding the keloid. I was wondering what I should do: biopsy, CO2 laser, injections, surgery, radiation, creams ? Help is needed, this scar is ruining my life!

Chest keloids can be improved dramatically with new treatments for scars

+1
I treat hundreds of chest keloids of varying stages at any given time.  Chest keloids rarely require surgery, but a combination of IIT, pressure treatment, and laser can usually help.  Plato's Medicinals Scar Serum seems to also work to reduce the hypertrophy of a scar. 

Surgical scarring

+1

I am not sure this is a keloid either. It could just be hypertrophy of the scar combined with incomplete removal of the mole. The central chest area is a difficult area with respect to scarring especially in women. The constant traction on the breasts by gravity pulls on the scar causing it to hypertrophy and/or widen and little or no skin laxity in the area aggravates this process. No matter what you do you will not be able to erase this scar. It may be made less noticeable or symptoms like itching can be diminished. The treatment modality would however need to be based on a more detailed history (was the biopsy site sutured etc.) and examination.

Aaron Stone, MD

Small Keloid on my Chest. What Are my Treatment Options?

+1

Regarding: "I Have a Small Keloid on my Chest. What Are my Treatment Options?

I used to have a mole; however, it was removed resulting in a keloid. I also have a dark border surrounding the keloid. I was wondering what I should do: biopsy, CO2 laser, injections, surgery, radiation, creams ? Help is needed, this scar is ruining my life
!"

You do NOT have a keloid, you have a Scar Hypertrophy.

Plastic surgeons are aware that injuries or placing incisions on certain areas of the body have a MUCH higher risk of ugly scars regardless of the person's race. Cuts on the border of the jaw, mid chest, shoulders, elbows, knees etc - all areas associated will movement and pulling will result in widened or "speed bump" scars referred to by us as Scar Hypertrophy.

In  Scar Hypertrophy, the scar tissue rises above the skin but does NOT spill over the scar borders. In a Keloid, the scar tissue rises over the plane of the skin AND spills well over the borders almost like an Atomic bomb mushroom.

Any intervention in this area has undesirable effects; Corticosteroids may thin the scar but also thin and widen it. Scraping (curetting) it may result in a wider MORE hypertrophied scar. Lasers MAY sand the scar down but the healing process may cause a recurrence of the scar.

The way you want to look at it, if there are so many "solutions" out there, you KNOW there is not one good and reliable one.

Sorry.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Keloid? Or Recurrent Mole?

+1

Your photo does not appear to show a keloid at all.  Perhaps an in-person exam would reveal otherwise, but your photo appears to show a recurrent mole, not a keloid.  You could have this excised (it appears you had it shaved off previously, based on the scarring present).  This would leave you with a small linear scar in the place of the mole.

I'm a little concerned that this tiny thing is "ruining your life", though. Makes me wonder if any result could ever make you happy.  Whatever treatment you choose, you will still be left with a scar in this area.

Carmen Kavali, MD