I Have a Small Infection from a Tooth Extraction. Is It Ok to Have Taken an Antibiotic 2 Weeks Before my Breast Augmentation?

Antibiotics

+1

It's probably okay, but check with your plastic surgeon to make sure. also check with your dentist to make sure the infection has been resolved.

Tooth Infection before breast augmentation

+1

Please inform your plastic surgeon that you are experiencing a tooth infection.   It may be wise to postpone your breast augmentation procedure until all infection issues have been resolved.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Infection and Breast Augmentation

+1

You certainly should inform your surgeon regarding this or any possible infection that you may have, as there may be an increased risk of  an implant infection after surgery. I would follow up with your dentist or oral surgeon to be certain that the dental infection is completely resolved, prior to augmentation surgery.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Dental Work and Breast Augmentation

+1

All of these answers are correct. I would add the following. For many years (22) I have advocated taking antibiotics before and after any invasive dental work in my patients with implants. There is a surgical principle that suggests that any bacteria shed in the bloodstream can get an implant infected such as a total joint or heart valve. Feeling that bacteria may play a role in hardening of breast implants - so called capsular contracture, I thought it wise to suggest my patients do this if they had a root canal or periodontal work, not a cavity. My views have changed based on literature and my own experience. There are articles that support and refute the idea. I think one should consider antibiotics when having periodontal work or very aggressive cleaning or whenever an infection is apparent in the oral cavity. That said, the final word scientifically is not known. 

Dr. M.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD, FACS

Antibiotics for Dental Work before Breast Augmentation?

+1

Yes, you should have your dental concerns  completely treated prior to undergoing breast augmentation surgery. This may involve the use of antibiotics or other dental intervention. You do not want to have any source of active infection at the time of breast augmentation surgery. Make sure you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon as well.

Antibiotics 2 weeks before surgery

+1

It is best to take your antibiotics so that the infection is completely gone before you undergo your breast augmentation surgery.Make sure you mention this to your surgeon because he/she may want you be on a continuation of them during and after your surgery.

Marshall T. Partington, MD, FACS

Toot infection and breast augmentation

+1

If you have an active infection, you will definitely want to postpone your breast augmentation surgery.  Since a breast augmentation involves the placement of implants, if you an infection, it could cause the implants to become infected (and then you would probably have to have the implants removed).  I would recommend that you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.  He or she will be able to tell you how long you need to wait before proceeding with your surgery.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Cleared from infection prior to breast augmentation

+1

You should not undergo breast augmentation while an infection is present. If the infection has resolved it is ok to finish the course of antibiotics and undergo the surgery. Check with your surgeon.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon