Small Hump/bump on the Dorsal Nasal Bone After Rhinoplasty; is It Swelling or Bone Combined? (photo)

May 18th, and it's been almost a month since I had surgery. I started feeling and seeing a small hump/bump on the dorsal nasal bone at the very top of my nose. It appears to be swelling from in between my eyebrows that is traveling down, but I also feel bone there. I have been taping my nose at night. And I massage it and push it down daily. It appeared this week on Monday.is This Common and Will It Disapear

Nasal Bump At One Month After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Based on your photo (although blurry), it is hard to assess the nature of the nasal bump.

However, it is most like due to swelling since you are at one month post surgery and final results get established at about a year post surgery usually.

Also, a nasal bump could form as a result of osteotomies being a callus (bone fracture will heal and form a callus sometimes).

So, without knowing the full details of your surgery and looking at your photos (before/after), it is not possible to provide you with a solid diagnosis.

I recommend that you be a little more patient and look forward to the 6 months mark as you follow your surgeon's instructions religiously.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is very common to have intermittent swelling after your Rhinoplasty. This is particularly noticeable along the bridge of the nose where even the slightest swelling can give the impression of a hump. The swelling will settle over the next few months and your surgeon will be able to tell you if a minor revision will be required. Be patient and allow the swelling to settle. Its unlikely that taping the nose at this point will be of real benefit.

Good luck

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Small Hump/bump on the Dorsal Nasal Bone After Rhinoplasty; is It Swelling or Bone Combined?

+1

It could be swelling and or a slight deflection of the nasal bones depending on what was done during the Rhinoplasty.  Your Rhinoplasty Surgeon is the only one that knows how the bones were altered during the Rhinoplasty.  You may want to ask him/her for clarification.  

Postoperative Nose Bump

+1

Time is definitely on your side.  Reshaping of the nose will continue to evolve over time.  Your conservative treatment plan is great.  I would not consider revision procedure this early in the postoperative period.  If swelling persists your surgeon may consider steroid treatment by mouth or injection.   Good luck with your new confidence.

Dr. D

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on nose

+1

Minor irregularities are fairly common. You will have to give it time to heal. A revision with gentle rasping may be required.

+1

On the posted photo appears as a very minor irregularity. Best to wait 3 months to allow MORE healing. But if not happy than consider revision. 

Dorsal hump after rhinoplasty

+1

You do seem to have a small dorsal hump on the profile view.  Most likely what have happened is that the skin edema started resolving revealing a small residual dorsal hump at the bony-cartilaginous junction. There is a good chance that once the bones readjust and the acute bony reaction resolves, this small hump will disappear.  It would also be useful to know if any grafts were used over the dorsum during the course of surgery since they could also account for this small irregularity.  At this juncture, being just 1 month after the surgery, the best advise is to be patient and give it enough time to heal and settle (at least 6 months).  If the problem persists then and is still bothersome enough, then it could be deal with then.  So, be patient and good luck.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Small Bump 1 Month after Rhinoplasty

+1

The fact that the bump is moving indicates that at least part of the problem is temporary swelling. I doubt that taping and massaging will make any difference. Right now all you can do is be patient. If it persists this is usually corrected with a relatively minor revision.