Small Hole Like Wound Under Breast 1 Month Post Op; What Should I Do?

Im just at a month since my sugery my PS said i could wear underwire bras usually i change in to a sports bra for bed but last night i didnt i woke up later in the night and took it off cause it was irritating me now i noticed what looks like a small hole at where the two incisions meet the one under and the one going up to my nipple do i just keep an eye on it and keep it clean and dry and probably stop wearing underwires tell it heals? worried its going to get bigger or leave a big scar

Small hole in incision after breast lift 1 month post-op--what to do.

+2

At one month post-op, the rest of your incision have healed pretty durably, so things aren't going to "fall apart" or cause a problem, UNLESS this tiny hole is allowed to become a portal for infection entering the still-healing tissues beneath the opening.

This is most likely an area of incomplete healing that could represent a dissolving stitch site, or just an area that was irritated open by your underwire. Keep it clean and protected by a dab of Bacitracin ointment (double or triple antibiotic is OK, but double or triple your chance for an allergic reaction, which looks like an infection) and a Band-Aid. Change as needed but watch so you don't cause blisters from the bandage adhesive on your delicate breast skin. (This would be an example of the treatment causing a worse problem than the initial problem!) BTW, I allow my breast surgery patients to wear an underwire bra after 3 weeks IF everything is healed completely.

This tiny spot should heal from the inside out in a few days. You can shower and gently wash this area. If there is any increase of pain, redness, swelling, or purulent (pus) drainage, call your doctor. I agree with your suggestion to avoid further irritation from your bra. The final scar should be smaller that the opening, since scars contract. Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Opening in breast lift incision

+1

Most likely the underwire in the bra rubbed against the area most likely to have wound healing problems after a breast lift - namely the junction of the "T" under the breast.  This is usually treated very conservatively, with dressing changes, and goes on to heal all by itself.  I suggest you be evaluated by your Plastic Surgeon and have him/her prescribe the appropriate treatment.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

+1

You need to see your surgeon.  This could be any number of things, but your surgeon needs to evaluate the area to insure that you are not infected, and apply appropriate cleansing, dressings and medications if necessary. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Small Whole Under Breasts after Breast Lifting?

+1

This small wound that you are experiencing is not infrequently seen after breast lifting or breast reduction surgery. Generally, these areas go on to heal without long-term sequelae. I am glad that you are following up closely with your plastic surgeon who can rule out the presence of a long-term dissolvable stitch that may slow down healing. If an implant is present,  exposure should be avoided/prevented.

Small hole under breast

+1

It would be wise to be evaluated by your surgeon to make sure that your implant is not exposed.  Good luck.

Small Holeunder breast

+1

This problem happens about 10 % of the time after a breast lift. This area is where most of the tension resides ans a little split is usually not a big problem. I agree that this is not likely to unzip any further. Try not ot wear any compressive bra and keep this clean and dry. It should heal if it is small. If it is greater than a centimeter it might be better to undermine and close it.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon