Small Hematoma on Right Breast: What Should I Do?

I woke up this morning with this small blood blister looking thing just below my right nipple. It is the size of a pea and it is worrying me. I called my PS and he told me to pull back the steri-strip that was covering it, put polysporin on it, and cover it with gauze. I am worried it is going to get bigger. I do not see him till wednesday, should I be going in somewhere sooner to get it drained? Do these things heal on their own? I am only 5 days post op. any suggestions woudl help, please!

Generally, if it is the size of a pea it's nothing too much to worry about but I think it would be certainly worthwhile going to

+1

Thank you very much for your enquiry regarding a small blood vessel on your right nipple. Generally, if it is the size of a pea it's nothing too much to worry about but I think it would be certainly worthwhile going to see your plastic surgeon to assess the area.

Overall, it's quite normal to have these sort of appearances at this early stage following your operation and I'm sure your plastic surgeon will see you urgently if he feels it appropriate. I wish you the best of luck and hope the area heals well.

Best wishes yours sincerely,

Adrian Richards
Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Surgical Director of Aurora Clinics

London Plastic Surgeon

Your will be fine

+1

Relax.  This is a blood blister as the other reviewers have stated.  Most likely cause is the steristrips.  See your surgeon and I imagine she or he will remove the steri strips.   This is not a hematoma.  Good Luck

Dr Grant Stevens    

Grant Stevens, MD

"blood blister" at edge of steri strip after breast surgery

+1

Although not in disagreement with most of the answers, still, the bottom of the breast appears discolored in the photo.  You're concerned about the "blood blister," I am more concerned about skin discoloration and tense appearance elsewhere.  This is impossible to evaluate properly without seeing the other breast also, and knowing exactly what procedure you had.  Dermo-epidermal separation induced by application of steri-strips and adhesive is not uncommon, and the "blood blister" will not expand, although you may develop others elsewhere adjacent to steri-strips.

Steve Laverson, MD

Blood Blister Around Steri-Strips After Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear dukesmama  in San Diego:

You appear to have a small blood blister, rather than a hematoma, located at the edge of the Steri-Strips. Sometimes, as the skin swells after surgery, the Steri-Strips will hold the outer layer of the skin fast, and the traction will separate the superficial and deep layers of the skin. This is similar to a blister you may get from ill-fitting shoes or manual labor. 

Topical antibiotics, and avoiding further injury should allow for quick and uneventful healing. If the surrounding area becomes bright red, warm, swollen and painful, this could mean an infection is starting in the blister. If this happens, give you plastic surgeon a call, and arrange follow-up sooner.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Blisters after breast augmentation

+1

The steristrips can irritate the skin after breast augmentation and the traction or shear as the skin swells can cause small blisters as you show so nicely in your photo. If the steristrips irritate we remove them in the office and apply bacitracin lightly until the skin heals. The problem is a small one.

peterejohnsonmd

Blister on breast

+1

your doctor gave you the right information. polysporin and time, it will heal fine. These are common under steristrips when the surrounding tissue swells but the tape doesnt give. I have moved away from them for this very reason. You should heal well.

C. Coleman Brown, MD, FACS
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Blister or Hematoma After Augmentation

+1

It appears based on your photo that you have a blister rather than any sort of hematoma which would be much less superficial.  The blister is most likely due to steri-strip which was overlying it.  I do not think that you need be overly concerned and recommend that you follow your plastic surgeon's advice.

John Whitt, MD

Blister after surgery

+1

Having a blister after surgery is not unusual and should not be a source of any concerns for you.  Be patient.  Talk to your plastic surgeon if you are worried and too anxious to wait for it to heal on its own.  But be assured this will not have an impact on your longterm outcome.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Blood blister after breast augmentation

+1

Hello dukesmama,

The blister you show is not a hematoma, but a blister that appears to have been related to the Steri Strips and now has blood in it. In general these blisters heal relatively quickly and I would agree  with your plastic surgeon to keep some ointment on it and leave it alone. It may pop and cause some concern when you see the blood, but that popping on its own should be expected. Hang in there. If it gets bigger, call your plastic surgeon again.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon