Is this a small hematoma after breast augmentation? (photo)

Is it preventative to get it drained now rather than wait for it to resolve? Got stitches out yesterday at 1 wk checkup, and new tape on incisions. Nurse noted left breast more swollen and higher than right. I had a lot of bloating and swelling before, but now the only pain is from internal stitches. Back at at home, noticed a reddish-purple mark under left breast. Through the new tape I can see dark marks both sides...assume blood/bruising, and seems lumpy. Nurse didn't say anything about it, but can't even small hematomas cause capsular contracture? 

Bruising, not hematoma

Based on you photos it does not appear that you have a hematoma. Bruising around the incision site is common right after surgery. It generally takes about 2 weeks to disappear. If you still have concerns, please follow up with your plastic surgeon. Thank you for sharing your photos and concerns. Best wishes.

Bruising after breast augmentation

Judging by ur photos, it looks more like bruising than a hematoma. However, u need to close monitor this and if there is ANY increase in pain or bruising or swelling, c ur plastic surgeon right away. I further agree with my other colleagues on this thread that u should probably c ur surgeon, & not just his/her RN, esp if there's a concern. Best of luck to ya!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

See your surgeon, not the nurse

Your bruising appears to be normal for your recovery. However, if you are very concerned please see your surgeon (not the nurse).

Is this a small hematoma after breast augmentation?

If you are concerned about hematoma, you need to be examined by your surgeon. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

This looks like normal post-op bruising but an exam in person is more accurate to determine if there is a hematoma.