I'm a Small Girl, 90 Lbs and 5 Foot Tall. Will 300 CC's Be Too Big?

I am concerned that 300 cc's may be too big, but I definitely want my breasts to be noticeable but natural looking at the same time. My doc said I have until Thursday to go smaller if I am not comfortable with 300 and can go to 275 if I want. I have been struggling with the decision. I am probably 34 AAA and have had one child but did not breast feed. I have scoliosis which causes asymmetry on the right side. He will go under the breast muscle with a high profile cohesive silicone gel implant.

Implant size depends on your goal and soft tissues

+4

"Natural" can mean many different things.  300 cc is not a large implant, but you are a slender woman.  300 cc's will be  a large C cup on you.  Is that your goal?

Remember also that the breast will respond to the implant.  If the implants are too large, the tissues will thin over time and create deformities that impossible to correct.

25 cc's is 5 teaspoons and will be a trivial difference.  It sounds like your surgeon is giving you very good advice.  .

Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size

+4

Hello Carrinohio,

I don't know if a 300 cc HP implant is too big, but my concern is not about how you will look.  It's about whether this implant is too big for your anatomy.  Because your body frame is small and you don't have much fat or breast tissue, I am concerned that you are too small for that implant.  This question is easily answered by a physical examintation that looks at a few parameters: your breast width and height, tissue thickness in both upper and lower parts of the breast, and tissue elasticity. 

Evidence based medicine suggests that the best way to minimize complications and reoperation is by prioritizing your body's anatomical limitations over the desired aesthetic goals.  Complications associated with an implant too large is excessive tissue thinning, palpable or visible rippling of the implant, implant malposition, or inframammary fold disruption, causing a double bubble.

Having said all that, a 275 or 300 cc implant might be fine for your anatomy.  Ask your doctor about that.  In terms of aesthetics, there is not a lot of difference in size between the two.  I always tell my patients like you to err on the smaller side, though.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

With Breast Implants, Always Go Slightly Larger

+3

For any woman who is undergoing breast augmentation, I alwasy tell them to err on the slightly larger side if they are stuck between to sizes.  At three months, after all the swelling has subsided and the implants are nice and soft, 98% of women all wish they ahd gone a little larger.  In your case, if your surgeon feels that the 300cc is apporpriate and will do a good job, then I would trust their judgement.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Will I be too large with 300cc implants?

+3

Choosing the right size implant is an important element in achieving your desired look. It frequently comes done to a 25-30 cc difference. This number is really not very signicant. If you err and prefer to be slightly on the smaller side then I would suggets the smaller size. If you prefer a slightly larger size then I would go with the 300 cc. Your surgeon should be able to help you with this by measuring your base of chest, as well as showing you a number of preop and postop photos. I do this routinely with my patients and find photos, in particular, very helpful. But regardles, once you have fine tuned the size to a mere 25 cc difference I think you will be happy with either size. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Breast Implants - Are 300 cc Implants Right for Me?

+3

Hi carrinohio in Steubenville, OH,

There's no absolute answer to this but, if it's any consolation, I would agree with others that a 25 cc difference is virtually inconsequential.  Just to put it in perspective, 30 cc is one ounce, and the typical shot glass in the United States is 45 cc, or an ounce an a half.  Imagine that difference spread over the entire breast, and you'll see that once you've narrowed it down to an approximate range, a couple of implant sizes (not CUP sizes) one way or the other means very little compared with your pre and post-operative sizes overall.  The main difference is you without any implants, and you with implants of a certain range - not where you go within that range.

The exact size depends on what you look like, what you want, and what your surgeon believes will fit.  What appeals to me aesthetically may not be what appeals to you.  We (plastic surgeons) all have patients who have chosen implants that we believe may be too large for their frame aesthetically - they may or may not look "natural" but the patients are happy with their result.  In a way, that's all that matters.

300 cc is not necessarily too big for you - if you like the way that looks on you.  The larger the implant, the more it will look like an implant (that's in general, not just for you).  So for a more "natural" look, go with the smaller implant within a desired or acceptable range.  Of course, you also want to balance going large enough to get the look you want.  There are no absolutes, and it's not an absolute science, for either you or the surgeon.

So tell the surgeon what you'd like, try to not tie his or her hands going into the surgery and I'm sure you'll be happy with the result.  And remember - even a shot glass difference probably doesn't won't decide whether or not you're happy afterwards.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation

+2

This will depend on many factors.  Are you athletic, engage in racquet sports, golf,  and how much breast tissue are you starting with?  These and other factors will be factored in to whether you are going to be “too big” with 300cc  implants.  You are small at 5 ft. and 90 lbs.  and I would guess that a 300cc implant would be a lot of implant.  This is a question for you and your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss and evaluate options.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Ideal implant size depends on breast and body characteristics

+2

At your height, weight, and bra size, a 300 cc implant will likely represent a full C, but this can vary greatly depending on your specific tissue characteristics, different bra manufacturers, etc. Silicone will also feel a little smaller than saline. Moderate or high profile implants may be appropriate depending on your body dimensions. Remember that 25 cc is less than 2 tablespoons of volume, so a subtle but important difference. Hope this helps.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

300 cc breast implants too big for you.

+2

How to pick breast implant sizes

Article by George J. Beraka, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Selecting the proper sized breast implant

+2

You question regarding the appropriate breast size given your weight and height is an extremely common one and one that does not have one specific answer. Multiple factors play a role in determining what breast implant size and configuration would be most appropriate for you. Among these include your chest wall width, configuration, separation between sides, amount of tissue present including skin (thickness), muscle and breast tissue, and the desired look that you are seeking.

For my patients, after determining as best as possible what they want regarding look, size, etc. and evaluating a variety of implants, we consider a few implants. However, I tell my patients that I will make the final decision based on what they are looking for - using my judgement. Sometimes I will go larger or smaller or even use a different projection implant depending on intraoperative findings which works out well virtually all of the time. Placing this burden on the patient by using a number is somewhat of a disservice as numbers don't tell them what they will necessarily look like.

In summary, if you feel that your plastic surgeon understands exactly what you want, leave it up to his judgement. The two implant sizes that you mentioned may be reasonable considerations but intraoperative, a final determination can be made.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

300 cc implants

+2

Without an exam it is hard to say whether or not a 300cc implant is right for you.  It really depends upon your skin elasticity, soft tissue coverage, and goals of surgery.