How Small Should I Go Down for a BR? (photo)

Hi... I've been having back pain neck pain head aches shoulder pain and I've chosen to have a BR surgery. My surgery is aug 16 of this year.. I've been wondering how small should I go and I want to be sure that it fits my body and looks good on me. I was thinking about a 38b or a small c would be good but I'm not really sure.. At this time I dont know what size my breast are.. I've been stuffing them in a size 42d but I also know that's not my true size I have muffin sides and top...lol.

Size proportionate to body

+1

If you are a 42 D your breasts weigh 2300 grams.  If you become a 38 B your breasts would weigh 800 grams and too small.  The goal of breast surgery is to relieve symptoms.  This can be done by reducing weight combined with transferring the weight to the underlying muscle.  You may be an excellent candidate for a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Reduction.  Using this technique, the breasts are lifted higher, reshaped to increase projection and upper pole fullness, moved more medial to increase cleavage and reduced to the size that is proportionate.  This is done without the ugly vertical scars of the Wise pattern and maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

When performing a breast reduction my goal is to remove an appropriate amount of breast tissue to accomplish a nice shape and decrease the overall weight while keeping them in proportion to the patients overall body habitus.

How Small Should I Go Down for a BR

+1

Hi missy and thanks for sharing your question

It is good that you have chosen to have a Breast Reduction. It will improve your look and help your back pain. You should discuss your size requirements with your Plastic Surgeon. Although the cup size is not a standard measurement because it is such a commonly used term your PS will understand your wishes. Since the breast has to be in proportion to your body frame and chest, your PS can help you with your choices. Muffin sides and top can be treated with some Liposuction performed at the same time. 

Hope this helps

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Post-reduction size

+1

Sizing should be in proportion to your body habitus.  We think in terms of gram weight, not cup sizes, which are so inconsistent among manufacturers. Discuss your needs and proposed size with your plastic surgeon preoperatively.  There is a minimum gram weight resection for insurance purposes but flexibility beyond that point.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Size questions after breast reduction surgery

+1

There are definitely safe limits when it comes to reducing the size of the breasts.  Your plastic surgeon will need to make decisions both before and during surgery in order to perform a safe and satisfactory breast reduction.  

Breast Reduction and Size Goals?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Pre operative him communication with your plastic surgeon will be one of the keys to success. Remember, as you communicate your goals with your plastic surgeon, that a discussion of cup size can be confusing and/or a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process. Generally speaking, I suggest patients undergoing breast reduction surgery have enough tissue removed to help alleviate/decrease  symptoms they are experiencing,  while preserving enough tissue to feel comfortable about the upper and lower body  proportionality.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully your only regret will be not having had the procedure performed earlier in life.

Ultimate breast size after reduction should be determined by the patient.

+1

Virtually any breast size can be accomplished with a breast reduction. The technique to achieve the result might change with more drastic volume decreases. In the end however the final breast size should be the wish of the patient.

Breast size after Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

The results of breast reduction surgery are often dramatic and life-changing. Symptoms of back pain, neck pain, and shoulder discomfort are almost always improved after surgery. I would not recommend getting focused on final cup sizes. All bras fit differently and there is no standardization of bra cup sizes. Your surgeon will get you as small as he or she  can safely, while maintaining a well-shaped breast and some cleavage. It is important to leave a certain amount of tissue behind and under the skin and nipple to provide blood and nerve supply so that your incisions heal properly. If too much tissue is removed, for example in trying to get someone from a size DD to a B, there can be increased risks for skin loss and even nipple loss. I would trust your plastic surgeon to create a beautifully shaped breast mound in a well-proportioned size that suits your body. Based on your body, I think a C cup would look nice, but again the cup size is less important than the overall appearance, shape, and generalized proportionality with your body. It is impossible for any plastic surgeon to guarantee bra cup size after breast surgery.

Hayley Brown, MD