How Small Could I Get Down to with a Breast Reduction?

I am a 22 year old female with a 6 month old son. I have always had considerably large breasts since I was 8 years old. I have 38DD/almost a DDD and am wanting to have a breast reduction done. How small could I possibly go because I was hoping for some where in the range of a 34B or at the MOST a 32C. I was not able to breast feed so that is not an issue to be concerned with. Thank you!

As small as you want.

+2

Breast reduction is a wonderful operation for those of you who really need it.  My breast reduction

patients are the most grateful of all of my patients because they are all so happy to get rid of

all the problems related to having such large breasts.  Your surgeon can help you decide the

size that is best for your body.  You certainly have some input into this.  Don't be shy.  Tell him/her

what you think you want and bring photos to demonstrate.  From the surgeons viewpoint, it is

difficult to reduce to an exact size so you have to accept a small degree of imperfection.  You can

be as small or as large as you want.

Be sure your surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Breast Reduction and Resulting Size?

+2

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

It is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly.  The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.