Small Diastasis Recti, Options for Repair? (photo)

Hi! I had a baby almost 2 years ago. I think i have a small diastasis, i researched and i did the "exercise" so you can confirm it. I have a maybe 4-5 finger gasp in between my abs. Im skinny but my stomach looks like inflated,specially when i eat and i feel weird movements inside it! Im having a lipo and a bbL and i really want to know what are the options for fixing this, as i dont think i need a tummy tuck... I would like to get everything done in one surgery! Hoping for answer, thanks!

Correcting diastasis recti

+1

Even though you don't want a tummy tuck, you'll most likely need one to truly flatten your belly.  It's hard to give you an exact answer without examining you, but a mini tummy tuck would only fix the area below your belly button.  Having done a lot of tummy tucks, the scar heals well so you could get back the flatness of your belly with an inconspicuous scar.

Abdominal muscle tightening

+1

Hi Laella

I agree that it looks like you have a diastasis of your rectus muscles, but also that there is not a lot of overlying abdominal fat or excess skin. You should not plan a repair of this stretched fascia if you think you will have more children.

You will likely get your best result from abdominal liposuction with a short tummy tuck incision to expose the rectus muscles and allow them to be sutured together.  Your belly button is likely to get pulled a little downwards with this procedure, and a small amount of skin removed.

I have also been unimpressed with endoscopic plication of the rectus muscle. Most patients that request this from me go away and have someone else perform the procedure, and come back for a 'real' tummy tuck when they have been disappointed with the results.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Small Diastasis Recti, Options for Repair?

+1

A diastasis repair with liposuction and BBL can be performed at one surgery.  The repair can be performed through a smaller incision than a tummy tuck.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rectus Diastasis Repair

+1

The only repair is exposure and suture correction.  This means a tummy tuck exposure above and below the umbilicus.  I am not impressed with attempts at endoscopic repair in this area.  So your only realistic option is a tummy tuck approach and layered repair.  This can be done now or later .  If you plan more children wait till later.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon