I Am Currently a Very Small C Cup and I Want a Full C or S. Will 400 CC Be Too Big for Me?

I am 5'5 and 130lbs and a very small C cup, I wear a padded 34C and have some wiggle room. The doctor said I have quite a bit of breast tissue and very minimal sagging from breast feeding. I told him that I wanted a full C or very small D and he recommended a 400 CC implant. Will 400 CC be too big for me? I definitely don't want to push into a DD cup.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
400 cc is a lot of implant I would be surprised if it only took you up in size a little, that being said all bras are different but I think you will have a more dramatic increase in size than you think

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast Implant Size and Cup size do not correlate well

+1

Cup size and breast implant size do not correlate well. To answer your question most helpfully, a physical examination is necessary. You chose this surgeon, and he/she is hopefully an experienced and expert surgeon. If he/she is an experienced and expert surgeon, he/she hopefully understands your objectives and will guide you appropriately.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast implant size

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:
1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Implant size

+1

This is a very common question that many patients ask.  However, it is hard to correlate implant cc volume with bra size.  You should try implant sizers and see what kind of look you are going for rather than bra cup size.  The same implant volume can give different cup sizes depending on patients' anatomy (chest width, chest height, height and weight).  Talk with your surgeon and ask her/him to guide the implant size for your desired look.

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast implant sizing

+1

There is no perfect way to size a patient.  The process that I utilize although not perfect helps patient to conceptualize size.  I place them in a Warner Bra style 1003 which has no underwire and no defined cup.  I will then place actual implants inside the bra and then place you in a T shirt.  Once you achieve the size you are looking for I then add 25cc to your choice to compensate for placing under your tissues, especially the muscle which has a tendency to flatten the appearance of the implant slightly.  

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Cup size is not the best way to think about this

+1
I try to help my patients decide on size without fixating so much on cup size. A lot of factors enter in to the post op appearance. A general discussion about your expectations is best! Be honest with yourself and your surgeon then trust his experience and judgement. That is what his job is. Pick someone you are comfortable with. My breast implant patients have become my patients for life.

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

The person that would know the best is the person that has actually examined you. If for some reason you don't trust the number your doctor has come up with you could go on another consultation.

David E. Kim, MD

Breast Augmentation Size

+1

It’s hard to say without a photo which placement fits you the best. There are various factors regarding how you want your breasts to look and feel, but if you and your doctor have a good, open line of communication, you shouldn’t need to go back and forth on your decision. A major factor that effects how breast implants look and feel is whether they're inserted over or under the chest (pectoral) muscle. I do submammary and submuscular implants, inserting the implants under the breast tissue and over the muscle through an incision in the breast fold. The result is fabulous: perkiness with barely a trace of scar. 

If you want the most natural-looking breast you'll need a subpectoral implant, in which the implant is placed under the muscle. This procedure also requires the merest incision - about three centimeters in the crease under the breast or at the edge of the nipple -- and diminishes the incidence of capsular contracture, the formation of hard scar tissue around the implant which occurs in 10 to 30 percent of cases. 

Subpectoral implants aren't right for everyone, though. If you have saggy breasts, an implant placed under the muscle won't fill out that empty breast sack, and you'll get what we call the "double bubble" look, where the implant is situated next to your armpit and the breast hangs several inches below it. Instead, you can have a procedure called augmentation mastopexy, in which the implant is placed under the muscle and the skin on the breast is lifted and tightened. 

In short, you must know -- realistically -- what you are starting with, as well as what you want to look like when surgery is done. Do you want a natural appearance or a round, perky look? These are some of the factors I weigh with my patients when evaluating what type of procedure to do. 

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Breast Implant Size

+1

Without seeing  you in consultation, taking breast measurements or even seeing before pictures, it is impossible to give you specific advice about sizing.  In your appointment, your surgeon or his staff should take measurement of your breast width and also may have different size implants for you to try in your bra.  This may help give you an idea of what to expect.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD