Small Chin Implant Worth It?

I'm thinking of getting a small/size 1 implant... that's what's been recommenced to me. However ratings/patient reviews for chin implants on the site is Much lower than other procedures. Is it worth me going through all of this trouble for such a subtle change? Also, I read online that doing it through the mouth causes problems/drooping later on... And, doing it under the chin, people say the scar has lasted a very long time and is very visible. (Being a male, I can't cover it with makeup)

Small chin implant

+1

A small chin implant is a GREAT proceedure. Sometimes a subtle increase in chin projection makes a fantastic improvement in the facial profile. A small chin implant done in our office OR takes about 15 minutes under local anesthesia. Complcations from small chin implants done by an experienced MD have almost a zero complication rate and are extremely safe to do.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Subtle change with chin implant is often well worth it - particularly for men

+1

If you would like to improve the balance and contours of your face with a chin implant, even a small size implant, if appropriate for you, is worth it.

The placement of the implant is a simple, straightforward procedure which a high success rate from a facial plastic surgeon's perspective. Because of its simplicity, if you are unhappy with your resulting appearance, the implant can be easily removed by your surgeon.

My preferred surgical approach is an incision made adjacent to the natural skin crease under the skin, rather than through the mouth. I believe the benefits of this approach to be:

• more precise implant placement,
  • minimized risk of infection, and
  • avoidance of any healing problems inside the mouth.

Contrary to what you have heard, the scar under the chin from this procedure is very difficult to see because of its well-hidden location. In fact, 7 of 10 adults have a scar under their chin for various different reasons (i.e.- tripping and falling as a toddler, adolescent sports injuries, etc.), but you probably don't notice this on most people because of the inconspicuous location of these scars.

Finally, if a small implant seems to be the best choice for you (I'd have to see you to fully assess most appropriate implant size and shape), even such a subtle change often makes a great deal of improvement in the balance of your facial features. It's just this sort of subtle, natural-looking improvement that is generally most appealing in any cosmetic surgery.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant for male

+1

Chin implants come in many different sizes and shapes.  For practical purposes, a small, medium, large, and extras large are the traditional sizes used.  The best material for chin implantation is silastic and the best approach is to place them through a very small ½ inch submental incision.  Most of the time the procedure is performed under local anesthesia but general anesthesia can be used if a patient prefers it.  There is an additional cost for the general anesthesia.  The scar in the submental area is minimally detectible and settles down within the first 2 months after the procedure.

Chin implant

+1

Chin implants can really balance out a profile.  I prefer the intra-oral incision to the submental one - there's no visible scar, and the technique works well.  The size of the implant depends on your facial analysis:  without seeing you, I can't tell you what size chin implant would be best.  The recovery is not difficult for most people - so yes, I would say "it's worth it" for the right person.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Chin Implants for Men

+1

I frequently use chin implants in men because a large percentage of my patients are men. the size of the implant will vary depending on the needs of each individual patient; remember subtle and natural is the goal of cosmetic surgery in most patients. I use the submental incision under the chin and in 35 years have never had to revise the resulting small scar.

Chin Implant/Male

+1

In my office we perform alot of chin implants on male patients.  There are a multitude of factors to take into consideratiion.  Your height, weight and facial bony structure of your face are all important.  Incision under the chin has not been a problem, if the placement is correct. There are many styles and sizes of chin implants available.  Also custom implants are another option.

Good Luck!

David Alessi, MD

Chin implant choices for a male

+1

The sizeof the implant varies from one design to another. Also, I have noted that the height of the individual has some bearing on the bony proportions of the face and the relative size I will choose for an implant. For instance , a medium implant of the same design and manufacturer might be too small for a 6 foot tall male and be too large for a 5 foot tall female. If you resubmit your question with  profile pictures in repose and smiling, along with your height, I might be more specific in responding. The insertion scar should be very minimal especially if the surgeon is careful to preserve the adjacent  beard hairs and uses good sutuire technique. If you are a keloid former, then you should consider an intraoral approach or no surgery of this nature at all.  .

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants

+1

I typically use an incision under the chin for chin implant placement ,the incision is referred to as sub-mental.I have not found the scar to be a problem for patients ,in fact the majority of patients already have a scar which I use from a previous fall.

Jay M. Pensler, MD