Small Chin and Flat Cheeks - Best Treatment Option?

Im really disappointed with my profile. My small chin and my flat cheeks make my nose look big. Is it possible to fix it with a chin implant only or is a jaw surgery necessary? (I have 3 mm overbite but no practical problems). I'm also thinking to fix my flat cheeks(perhaps with an implant)?

Treatment options for small chin and flat cheeks

+2

A chin implant is a great operation to bring the chin forward so as to lessen the projection of the nose.  This is all about facial balance.  The chin implant is placed through a submental (under chin) incision, not through the mouth.  It is placed directly over the bone underneath the periosteum, skin, and muscle.  The implant can always be removed later in time if the patient so desired.  This can be done under local anesthesia.  Cheek implants are placed through an intraoral incision and placed directly over the maxilla and are done to give the cheek area augmentation.  Both the chin and cheek implants are made of silastic and are a synthetic implant.  

Small Chin and Flat Cheeks

+2

In a young person like youself permanent correction with chin and cheek implants is the best alternative. This will improve facial proportions and decrease the relative size of your nose.

Cheek and Chin implants

+2

Based on your photo, it seems that you may benefit from a chin implant and possibly cheek implants. There are several types of implant materials and many different shapes.  Make sure you discuss with your surgeon the pros and cons of the various options and surgical approaches.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

Chin and cheek augmentation

+2

You could certainly consider a chin implant or sliding genioplasty to improve the projection of your chin. Neither approach would change the allignment of your teeth.

Regarding your cheeks there are several options:

• Temporary soft tissue fillers such as restylane or radiesse
  • Facial fat grafting to give a more permanent volume enhancement
  • cheek implant, though this has limits as to what areas exactly it can address

An in person exam would allow for a better evaluation regarding your options.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Best way to treat small chin and flat cheeks.

+2

I treat this type of thing all the time and get similar photos from patients all around the world.  IMHO, because you are young fillers are really not a long term option because they are temporary.  For this reason, Chin and Cheek Implants are the best option because they are permanent.  I place the Chin Implant through an incision under the chin to avoid infection and chin ptosis later in life.  The Cheek Implants are placed through small incisions insidie the mouth by the upper gums.  I only use solid silastic implnats and do not need to suture or sew the implants in place but do require all by implant patients to sleep on a U-shaped pillow for 1 month after the surgery.  After that the implants are rock solid.

The surgery does require a general anesthesia and typically takes me about 1 hour to place both Chin and Cheek Implants.  Hope this helps.

Chin And Cheek Implants Will Make The Nose Look Smaller

+2

Your facial profile suggests that you do have a weaker chin and flatter cheek profiles which do make a contribution to the nose appearing bigger than it otherwise is. Chin and cheek implants will work well for you and will make a big difference. They will also help soften the size of your nose and the chin and cheek prominences come more into balance with it. Your mild overbite is not an indication for jaw surgery just illustrative of the fact that your chin is short. A chin implant will work just fine.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Radiesse Injection Treatment vs Permanent Implants

+2

Radiesse has given physicians and patients a new dimension in facial contouring by revolumizing the face through a minimally invasive approach. Radiesse injections are well-tolerated by patients. They have a low incidence of side effects and result in high patient satisfaction.

Longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse have many advantages over implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Also, as your face ages it changes over the years, touch up treatments are constantly being modified to fit the changing face.

I recommend getting several opinions before making your decision on which would be the best treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for Enhance Chin and Cheeks

+2

I agree that your nose appears prominent although it is not in absolute terms. A chin augmentation with an implant will significantly improve your profile. For the cheeks, implants are an option but will likely not fix all the problems that I see in your photo. You also have deep depression at the junction of central cheeks and lower lids which is best improved with facial fat grafting.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best treatment for small chin and flat cheeks.

+2

Best treatment for small chin and flat cheeks is chin and cheek implants that are not overdone. Make sure your surgeon likes a natural look to avoid this and you should be very happy with the results.

+2

You are absolutely right. Small chin makes the nose look bigger and vice versa. Chin implant is the best way to go and less invasive surgery. Cheek implants can also be done at the same time. You will benefit from both procedures.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon