What Causes a Small Bump at the End of a Scar Stitched with Self Dissolving Stitches?

My 2 year old daughter fell and hit her forehead 5 weeks ago on a sharp edge of our bed. A plastic surgeon came to the emergency room and put in self dissolving stitches. The cut ran from above her nose just into her eyebrow line. The remaining stitches were not removed until our second office visit about 26 days after the initial incident. She now has a small bump at one end of the scar that feels hard but dissolves after massaging it. What could this be and should I be concerned about it?

Facial Scar 'bumps'

+1

Thank you for your question. Your concern about your young daughter is understandable. To be safe, follow up with your plastic surgeon to have the scar evaluated. By 5 weeks, the scar is still in the early phases of maturation. Softening of the scar with massage, as you describe, is expected. Your surgeon will be able to reassure you or make suggestions about steps you can take at home to facilitate the healing. Good luck.

Small Bump at the End of Scar

+1

It would be best for you to speak with your surgeon and have him/her examine the scar. It is likely nothing to worry about, as it is still soon after the procedure. Thank you, and I hope this helps.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Scars and Bumps

+1

Scars go through a period of swelling and inflammation.  It is typical to feel and see lumps and bumps during the early stages of healing.  Most if not all do go away with time as the scar matures.  Follow the plastic surgeons instructions.  The scar should get better with time.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon