If I'm Getting a Small Bump Removed, Can my Breathing Still Be Impaired After?

I hear that there is sometimes breathing complications afterward. Also, what type of anesthesia would I be put under for this type of operation? Thank you! :)

Breathing after rhinoplasty

+1

Functional breathing through your nose must be maintained in regards to rhinoplasty.  It should not be compromised for desired change to the nose. The type of anesthesia most often used for a rhinoplasty and/or septoplasty is general anesthesia. Today it is usually performed with a laryngeal mask airway. Make sure you have a board certified physician anesthesiologist in attendance monitoring the patient during the procedure.  

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Rhinoplasty

+1

The nose is basically hanging skin with underlying bone and cartilage that give it shape while preventing collapse when breathing. Most first time rhinoplasty operationsinvolve the removal and/or alterations of some portions of this supporting structure. If too much is removed or strategic portions are removed or weakened that shouldn't be removed/weakened collapse when breathing can occur. It would be unlikely after a competent removal of a small dorsal hump.

Hump Reduction Can Lead to Nasal Valve Issues

+1

Reducing the profile of the nose can result in breathing problems.  Whether this will be the case is largely dependent on the amount of the reduction.  This is an important issue because patients that have a smaller nose but now can't breathe through it are NOT happy.  Address this issue with your surgeon.  What you want to ask is whether you are at risk for nasal valve collapse after the hump reduction.

The choice of anesthesia is dependent on the extent of surgery.  It is possible with minor reductions to do the surgery with just local anesthetic in the office.  Again, this is an issue you want to discuss with your surgeon.  Good luck with your procedure.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon