Small Bump on Lip 4 Months After Removal of Stitches, What Can Be Done?

Hello. My 3 year old daughter cut her bottom lip 4 months and got a few small stitches. A few weeks after removal she had a small bump in her lip. Dr said it was sutra and to massage and apply ointment. We did for four months and there is still no change. If its scar tissue will it ever go away. Maybe the muscles formed in a different way. If so, can I do anything about it? Thanks.

Scar revision for a 3-year-old

+2

Dear Nshemel in New York:

A small bump on the lower lip of your 3-year-old daughter's lower lip four months after a laceration repair still has a great chance of improving with massage. For adults, scar revision is usually delayed for a year after the injury. This allows time for the final result to be seen, and allows the injured tissue to heal and decrease the risk of even more scar forming. For children, scar revision may need to be delayed longer. Two years is not unusual. The scar should continue to improve during this time.

Massage and gentle compression of the area can help speed the maturation of the scar. This is difficult on a 3-year-old's lip, but not nearly as difficult as revising the scar. More time will allow your daughter to be more cooperative. Not just with the procedure of scar revision, but  with proper care during healing should it come to that.

There is no time limit on waiting. After waiting for the scar to mature the procedure can be performed sooner or year later. Often it is worth waiting for the child to complain about it before proceeding. Delaying the procedure should not worsen the results, and in the short term delaying is the right answer.

More information on scar revision is available on my San Francisco Plastic Surgery Blog, just search scar revision on the site.

Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Lip scars that are thickened and bulky

+1

The lips are dynamic and thus there is likely excess deposition of collagen. I would treat this patient conservatively with pressure and possibly IIT> 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS