Why Would a Small Bump Appear on my Bridge 3 Weeks After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty just under 3 weeks ago, when the cast came off it was very swollen but the bridge of my nose was straight, just how i wanted it, I had a large bump before, had the tip refined and bump removed. I have now noticed a small bump emerging on the bridge. I am panicing and really do not want a bump there. I dont get to see my surgeon for a few weeks. What can i do to reduce the bump? Will it go down? It wasn't there straight away, has appeared over the last few days.

Nasal shape after rhinoplasty continues to change over months

+3

It is best not to be too concerned about the long term effect of any irregularity visible in the nose a few weeks after rhinoplasty.

During the healing phase, many different tissues have to heal and settle:

1. Bones have to seal and provide permanent structure support
  2. Cartilage has to mold and shape into the new planned nose, and this shaping occurs over months, depending on the technique used
  3. Skin, fat, and muscles have to adjust, shrink and mold to the new structure/skeleton

Small irregularities of the bone, cartilages and skin may appear after a few weeks and be gone a few weeks later, and continue to do so for a few months.  It is best to not be alarmed until the nose has had a chance to completely heal over 9 to 12 months.

Plano Plastic Surgeon

Bump on bridge of nose after rhinoplasty

+2

At three weeks after your surgery, some of the global swelling (swelling all over the nose) is starting to disappear and you can start to see more localized or focal swelling. If you had a big bump that was decreased in size, there is going to be a small bump in the bone as it heals. This is often a temporary concern as it usually shrinks as the bone continues to heal. You can always call your surgeon's office to ask if you should be seen or if he/she thinks that gently massage over the area would be appropriate.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump after rhinoplasty

+2

You are still early in the healing process. Different parts of the nose change at different rates. Some of you skin swelling may have gone down but your periosteal layer may still be thick making it feel like a bump. See your surgeon sooner to be reassured.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Post-Op

+2

In general, the nose can take longer to settle down and for you see the final results.  I would also recommend that you check in with your surgeon who can then analyze your healing and determine if any additional  treatment is warranted.  In most cases, the edema is just not completely down yet.  Above all else, try not to panic.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump following rhinoplasty/septoplasty surgery

+2

The nose is healing.   This is most probably inflammation.   Schedule an appointment sooner than you were reocommended.   If indeed there is something going on, the surgeon may be able to intervene and help.   The surgeon may also tell you that all is ok.    Piece of mind is a good thing!     I think that it is reasonable to call your surgeon.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Bump

+2

You need to see your durgeon. The bump may be developing scar tissue. However it may also be bone beginning to show as the swelling goes down

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Bump after rhinoplasty

+2

Sometimes there can be some swelling that localizes over the bridge. Gentle massage should help but check with your surgeon first. Call or email him/her to see if you should be seen earlier.

Ronald Schuster, MD