Small Area Liposuction?

Ive always had a little "pooch" under my bellybutton. I've gone for a couple consultations to use lipo to remove this small spot that I just cant get with any sort of exercise! At both of the consultations the consultation specialist (I havent seen any doctors)seemed to try to meet their "3 area minimum" by saying I would also need to get my upper abs (I cant even pinch any fat in this area) and my "love handles" which I personally like my "hourglass" figure. Maybe I'm going to the wrong places?

If the Plastic Surgeon does not do your Liposuction Consultation personally, LEAVE!

+2

You are going to the absolute wrong places.  Good doctors see 100% of their patients in consultation and do not have marketing sales people out there trying to push a bunch of nonsense you do not want or need.   BEWARD OF HYPE ARTISTS AND PUSHY SALES.  THIS IS DISGUSINNG IN MEDICINE AND SHOULD NOT EVER EVER BE TOLERATED BY PATIENTS.  BE ASSERTIVE.  SEEK A SURGEON BOARDED BY THE AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY AND GET A CONSULTATION.  SEE SEVERAL.  MAKE SURE THEY ARE FELLOWS OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SURGEONS.  Make sure their main concern is you and your safety and fine result and not financial gain.  Slick marketing is done to make money hand over fist and is never directed toward the patients best interest.  I truly hope you find a quality surgeon that takes good care of you and cares for and about you.  Gllo Luck and good research.   Dr G Commons

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and localized fat

+1

We tailor all operations to the patient's needs. In your case, if you have isolated fat deposits only on your lower abdomen, then you can simply address that specific area. Your situation is not common though. Most patients benefit from a circumferential approach to an affected area.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Liposuction in the lower abdomen

+1

I think it is fine to target the area in the lower abdomen that is bothersome to you with liposuction.  And if you only want that area done, it will not be "in balance" with the rest of your torso and potentially could leave you with an "unnatural" appearance and more changes of contour irregularities.  To use an analogy, just like when someone get the rims on our car polished, we dont typically just do one, we do them as a set.  Using this analogy in plastic surgery, we typically approach the body in "units" and the torso is a unit that flows together.  For that reason we don't typically "pick apart" the unit and only focus on one subunit.  I think its fine to make your concerns very clear to your doctor that you want minimal change elsewhere in the abdomen.     I would recommend consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  Visual analysis and "pinch thickness" examation is part of what any plastic surgery consultation would encompass.  I will say that the lower abdomen around the belly button can be problematic and it never be perfectly flat with just liposuction alone because there is usually a small degree of skin excess as well.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

James F. Boynton, MD

Meet directly with a plastic surgeon for a consultation.

+1

You should make an appointment and meet with a board certified plastic surgeon.  In my practice, I do not have a "three area minimum" for liposuction.  If you want one area reduced, that is what you should pay for and get. 

Lower Abdominal Liposuction To Remove Pooch

+1

The value of a consultation is that you learn what experts think can or should be done. However, if it is not done personally by the plastic surgeon who would be doing the actual surgery then I would move on. While it is true that the most worthwhile approach may be all three areas done at the same time, in the end it is your body and your decision if you only want one area treated. It is perfectly appropriate to perform liposuction on just your lower abdomen to remove the pooch that bothers you.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction, you deserve a consultation with a physician

+1

If the physician is too busy to do a consultation with you and has an RN or PA (physician assistant) meet with you prior to surgery without meeting the surgeon, then you should go elsewhere. your photographs do demonstrate some benefit to be achieved by liposuction of the upper abdomen and love handles. if you don't have the upper abdomen done, it may hang over the bellybutton when the lower abdomen  heals. This creates a "sad smile" shape and you will probably return being dissatisfied and asking for improvement. Once the lower abdomen is improved you will be disproportionately enlarged on your upper abdomen and you will probably seek more surgery. If the surgeon meets with you and then explains all of this to you and you understand it and decide you only want the lower abdomen to be done, then it is your choice! The individual surgeon, however, has the right to accept you as a patient or not. If he or she wishes to do an addtional area to make the final result look better and feel it's not appropriate to not include it they may say that they don't agree to do your surgery as the result will be suboptimal and they don't wish to be responsible for such a result. That is their right but you still have your right to see other opinion.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Small area liposuction?

+1

I would be wary of going with surgeons who apparently can't be bothered to do their own consultations.

If you came to see me I would most likely ask you whether you could lose 6 to 8 pounds.

You have a lovely figure and it seems to me that you really don't need an operation.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Over-Selling Liposuction

+1

Regarding: "Small Area Liposuction?
Ive always had a little "pooch" under my bellybutton. I've gone for a couple consultations to use lipo to remove this small spot that I just cant get with any sort of exercise! At both of the consultations the consultation specialist (I havent seen any doctors)seemed to try to meet their "3 area minimum" by saying I would also need to get my upper abs (I cant even pinch any fat in this area) and my "love handles" which I personally like my "hourglass" figure. Maybe I'm going to the wrong places
?"

You are a smart young lady. It is truly disheartening to see how medicine is practiced in some places where doctors have become "providers" and Plastic surgeons use sales people (aka Patient coordinators or "consultation specialists") to sell you more than you may need just like other industries (IE insurance - "you can never have too much insurance"...)

Personally, I do not break liposuction of the abdomen into upper and lower because the abdomen is one unit not two. I think doing liposuction of the abdomen is all you need at this time and selling you more than you need because "one day" 40,000 cheese burgers and 5 children from now you MAY need more is unethical.

Find another, more ethical Plastic surgeon and don't look back.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Liposuction of lower abdomen

+1

I appreciate what you are saying, but if you only do the lower abdomen, then if you put on weight, the upper abdomen will look funny. I have seen this in quite a few patients that were referred to me after having just the procedure you want done by other surgeons.

Liposuction of just one area works fine.

+1

Hi.

I don't know where you are going if you haven't seen a doctor. Of course you should just have liposuction of your lower abdomen.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)