How Long Until I See Blepharoplasty Results?

I am 5 1/2 weeks post op upper and lower blepharoplasty (outer incision). I still have considerable swelling below my eyes, with some darkness that was not there before the surgery. The swelling is in different places on my eyes (directly under left and the outer corner of the right) causing my left eye to look smaller. The upper lids are still slightly swollen as well. There is discomfort under both my eyes as if they are bruised. How much longer must I wait to see results?

It takes about 3 months to get the final results with blepharoplasty

+3

I always tell patients it takes about 3 months to get the final results with blepharoplasty. In patients who are having repeat surgery, (or patients with other medical problems), it can sometimes take up to 6 months

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty results

+3

Generally, blepharoplasty results are seen within 2 to 4 weeks.  Some patients will have a greater amount of swelling and bruising which can extend the healing period.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an estimation of the expected time line.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

+3

Some of your Blepharoplasty results should be seen almost immediately (i.e. skin removed, fat sculpted or repositioned).  With severe swelling and bruising post-operatively, you might not see the final result for up to six months.  Your surgeon is the best person to tell you your specific time line.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and swelling

+3

Usually the swelling and brusing would subside around 8 to 12 weeks, but it may take more time in some patient. it is also usual that the swelling may migrate from top lid to lower (per gravity effect) and with time may go to your cheeks. I usually tell my patients that even at 6 months there is some swelling and this is why I never take post op. pictures before 6 months. Lymphatic massage of your face may help to speed up the process. 

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD

Wait at least 3 months.

+3

Every patient responds differently to surgery, with varying degrees of bruising and swelling. As a general rule, waiting three months is a safe time period that most swelling and bruising should have resolved for you to get a good idea about the final result. Some patients do need longer than that for post surgical pigmentation to resolve.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Results Can Take Months To See Complete Results

+2

While blepharoplasty surgery can be associated with a lot of swelling and bruising, you should be more in the benefits phase than the recovery phase by nearly 6 weeks after surgery. But some patients do take longer. I would use 3 months as your target for a final assessment of the outcome.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Blepharoplasty results.

+2
It usually is seen in a few weeks, but every one is different. In a small number of patients it nay be several months. See your surgeon to be sure.