Will Slimming a Bulbous Tip Make the Nose Appear Smaller on the 3/4 Profile, Without Deprojection? (photo)

The surgeon I have met with says I only need to have the hump on my bridge removed, the tip slimmed, and a slight tip rotation. I believe he is very experienced. But would anyone be willing to weigh in? I am wondering if deprojection of the tip is needed (he said no, that it would make my chin look too strong). Will slimming of the tip make the 3/4 profile look significantly smaller (this is what I dislike most about my nose)? Or could the slight tip rotation make it even more projected?

Nasal Tip Projection

+2

The plan of your surgeon seems reasonable.  Do you need deprojection of the tip?  No.  Could it be done?  Yes.  What is better in your case?  Hard to say, but deprojecting the tip tends to make tip refinement less predictable.  There is a few mm of tolerance with regard to tip projection.  I think your surgeon is giving you good advice.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Decreasing Nasal Tip Projection

+2

You do not need to have your tip projection reduced. The fullness above your tip gives the illusion that you're over-projected. Slimming the tip and reducing the slight hump will improve your 3/4 view. Tip rotation will decrease projection. Hope I've answered your questions.

Will Slimming a Bulbous Tip Make the Nose Appear Smaller on the 3/4 Profile, Without Deprojection?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, from the photos provided, there is a slight dorsal hump and the nasl tip is under-rotated (elongated) at ~ 90 degrees.  The aesthetically ideal tip rotation, seen on the 3/4 or full profile, for a woman is 110-115 degrees.  The lack of tip rotation is what makes your nose appear large...or "long".  While refining the nasal tip would be beneficial, the tip would also need to be rotated and the dorsal hump removed to make the nose appear smaller and more refined on the 3/4 and profile views.  

Bridge hump tip

+1

Deprojecting or retro-displacing your nasal tip would lead your nose to be smaller. It depends what size of nose you want.The surgical plan seems reasonable, but having an image session will help you resolve your concerns

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous tip rhinoplasty

+1

The pictures show a cartilaginous dorsal hump, downward rotation of the tip, And a bulbous tip. Currently, the projection of the nose is created from the hump. With rotation of the tip and removal of the hump, the tip will become the most projecting portion of the nose. The overall projection of the entire nose will be about the same. Please see the  link below  for examples of noses is similar to your own

Rhinoplasty

+1

I think that it is important to be properly evaluated in person. Certainly a hump removal and tip definition is key.  You probably need slight tip elevation as well.