Will Slim Lipo or a Tummy Tuck Help Tighten the Skin on my Stomach? (photo)

I've had a child and have stretchmarks, a pudge, and a small amount of loose skin on my stomach. I workout and try to tone it but i cant get rid of this mommy pooch (I'll see the shape of my abs around it except for the area above and under my nabel). I am interested in getting slim lipo but I don't know if it will help the skin on my stomach. I've thought about a tummy tuck but I'm terrified of the surgery and unsightly scar.

A full tummy tuck is likely your best option.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

Tummy tuck vs Slim Lipo for loose skin

+1

Loose skin on the stomach, as well as stretch marks below the belly button, are best treated with a tummy tuck. Tummy tucks flatten the front of the abdomen as much as possible. I place the scar as low as possible,  so it's covered by most clothing. Liposuction removes fat but does not tighten skin, so liposuction alone will definitely not tighten your skin. 

I recommend visiting with at least one board certified plastic surgeon and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

You will likely need a Tummy Tuck to look your best

+1

Hi there-

Without examining you, it would be difficult to be confident in the recommendation, but from what I know so far, I think you would be very dissatisfied with anything else.

The vast majority of Tummy Tuck patients are very happy (checkout the high "worth it" ratings here on RealSelf!) and find the scar acceptable and easy to hide.

The key is finding the right professional for you. Visit a couple for consultations and examinations.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Will Slim Lipo or a Tummy Tuck Help Tighten the Skin on my Stomach?

+1

Thanks for the posted photos. Neither will allow full correction of the stretch marks, Sorry. But you can try the TT because SlinLipo will do nothing. 

Slim Lipo Versus Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Bootyswagg,

From your photos, you have a combination of excess skin with stretch marks, excess fatty tissue under the skin, and muscle malposition secondary to childbearing.  This is a combination best treated with an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).  Liposuction no matter what type of technology that is used, can decrease the amount of fat but will not be able to tighten up your damaged skin which will loosely hang around your abdomen.  Regarding the marketing clams of certain "laser lipo" companies, remember there is very little true data to support their claims.

While every patient fears the incision, think of it this way.  You are going to be making a trade; you are going to be getting rid of something you find hard to hide in clothing and nearly impossible in a swimsuit and panties for something that can be hidden under most clothing, by most swimsuits and underwear.  A tummy tuck is also going to give your surgeon the most control in achieving the shape you desire. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you select the best treatment 4 you.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Slim Lipo will not be very effective in tightening skin with stretch marks

+1

Based on the information and pictures you provided it is very unlikely that any sort of laser liposuction will tighten your skin. A tummy tuck with liposuction would give the best result but as you pointed out, there is a scar. You should discuss this with a Board Certified plastic surgeon who can show you the before and after pictures of similar patients so that you can have a realistic view of what is possible and what would be best for you.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Liposuction or tummy tuck vs stretchmarks / Abdominoplastia y lipo X estrias

+1

Your pictures demonstrate a need for a tummy tuck.  The laxity in your skin which is due to your child is very evident.  If you were just to do liposuction to your abdomen.  The skin laxity would increase dramatically after the swelling subsides.  So then you would have loose skin, stretch marks and the bill from surgery.  So my recommendation would be to do a full tummy tuck with liposuction of the sides,back and maybe the thighs.

Good luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Sus fotos demuenstran la necesidad de una abdominoplastia. La falicez de su piel se deve al embarazo. Si usted se sometiera solamente a una liposuccion su piel quedaria mas floja todavia especialmente despues de bajar la inflamacion. Asi que usted quedaria con la piel flacida, las estrias y la cuenta de la cirugia. Mi recomendacion seria una abdominoplastia total con liposuccion de la cintura , espalda y quizas los muslos.

Suerte y gracias por su pregunta

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction

+1

If you were to do liposuction, you would acheive a better shape and your clothes would fit better. To get the most optimal results, I would suggest a tummy tuck. You do have some stretch marks from your pregnancies which means that the skin is damaged. Liposuction will only remove fat and doesn't do anything for the skin. A tummy tuck will tighten your abdominal muscles to give you a flat midsection and remove most of your stretch marks. Yes, a tummy tuck is a long scar and does require a longer recovery although you will get the best results. You also want to make sure that you do not want anymore children before considering a tummy tuck.

I would recommend consulting with 2 to 3 board certified plastic surgeons for examinations and recommendations. From there you can make a better informed decision. 

Leo Lapuerta, MD