Cheek Scar Removal from Pitbull Attack

I have been living with my scar for 5 years now, it was inflicted upon me by my pitbull, he was trying to attack me. If you look close you can see the difference (left eye, your right, it's in the corner from my duct extending along the path of my upper cheek, it's slightly raised with a little bit of skin shearing...well, I am not too proficient with the medical jargon but this is the best description I can give). I wonder what are my options for making the scar less visible?

Best treatment for cheek scar

+2

First, all patients of color should be exceedingly cautious with any surgery usually used for scars, such as lasers and dermabrasion, as these can cause significant discoloration after surgery. In some patients, scar revision by excision and repair is the best approach, but from your photo, I am not certain the benefit would be worth the risk of ending up with a worse scar. Lastly, sometimes fillers can be used to improve, although not eradicate, a scar.

Miami Dermatologist

Using creams for discoloration and darkening of a facial scar

+1

Discolored scars can be improved with topical Melaquin PM cream to even out the color of the scar. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Consider non ablative laser treatment such as Fraxel Restore

+1

It is hard to gauge the severity of your situation from the published picture. But given your skin type I would recommend a cautious approach. Less invasive treatment options would include non ablative resurfacing lasers such as Fraxel restore. If the scar is relatively new with some redness to it, the pulse dye laser such as the V-beam could be helpful. An in person consultation is however recommended.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek scar

+1

Cheek scars are sometimes difficult to deal with especially in darker skinned individuals. The best way to evaluate this is be seeing you in person.