A Slightly Raised Mole Above my Lip

I have a slightly raised mole a little bigger than a sesame seed above my lip. The inner is black while the surrounding is lighter colored. I think this is because I scratched off the mole when I was little and it grew back bigger with skin surrounding it. I would like to have it removed however I would prefer it not done by excision. Is laser removal possible for this kind of mole?

Mole removal

+1

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation and to discuss possible treatment. 

Methods of mole removal on the lip

+1

Moles are quickly and easily removed in my office by one of two methods: a shave excision or an excision with suture closure. I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Because of the size and location of your mole, it should be removed by excising a simple ellipse of skin. I then use a "layer closure" using both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result. The area then typically heals with a small, linear scar that is hardly visible. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. Using a laser to remove a mole will not provide tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will also alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon