I Have a Very Slight Scar on the Right Tip of my Nose, I Had Surgery 3 Weeks Ago, Should I Be Concerned?

I can also feel a bone bump under my left eye, my doctor said it is the bone that is swollen and should go away with time. Is this normal and will the swelling of the bone go down?

Scar after surgery

+2

All scars look their worst at 4 weeks and then improve immensely over time. Be patient and also convey your concerns to your surgeon.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD

Scar and "Bone Bump" After Surgery

+1

Yes, these results can be normal sequela of a rhinoplasty following osteotomies. Generally, it will take several weeks to improve. If the condition does not get better, schedule a visit with your plastic surgeon.

Good luck!

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Scar

+1

I recommend that you follow-up with your surgeon and follow his post-operative orders to help you heal.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty scar

+1

Rest assured.  It is far too early to judge the scar at the base of the nose (known as the "transcolumellar incision").  The scar from this incision heals up exceptionally well.  In my hands, you will have a hard time even finding the scar after 2 months of healing.  However, it does take some time.  

In over 400 rhinoplasty procedures that I have performed in the last 4 years, I've had to revise the scar only once!  In that case, the sutures broke and I'm not entirely sure why.  I can tell you with confidence that the vast majority of the time, this incision heals extremely well.

Andrew Winkler, MD
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too early to look too closely

+1

Without a photo it is hard to tell about the scar.  Can you post a photo?  Having said that, in general the scar from the incision can be a bit red early on, especially in the summer.  it should fade.  Swelling over the bridge of your nose is also normal, especially if you had a big bump to begin with.  Give it time.  Your doctor may recommend taping over the bridge at night, that can help get the swelling down faster.  

Farzad R. Nahai, MD