Does Slight Redness on Nose Bridge 3 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty Using Silicone Indicate Infection?

I had an open rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago and had a 2.5mm I-shaped silicone placed on my bridge. It was wrapped with fascia in order for the implant to appear more natural. For about a week there has been slight redness on my bridge that has neither increased or decreased in size. There is no swelling, localized tenderness, or nasal discharge. Is the redness a sign of infection or is it just part of the healing process?

Redness to nose after using silicone nasal graft

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question at this time.  You need to be very careful, because could mean that the alloplastic( silicone) graft  is becoming infected and would ultimately push through the skin.  Be sure and let your Plastic Surgeon know about this, and follow up often to have the nose be evaluated .

Good luck.

Slight reddness on bridge 3 weeks post op ... why?

+1

You don't sound like you have an infection but no one could say for sure without following you very closely. You need to stay in  touch with your surgeon so he can observe the changes in your healing nose.
I hope that this is helpful for you . Jon Sattler, MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California.

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon

+1

Until proven otherwise you should consider you have a potential infection. seek immediate care from your chosen surgeon!

Redness post rhinoplasty

+1

the best thing to do is stay in close contact with your surgeon. Without an examination it is difficult to know if it is an infection or fluid present for example. The surgeon who operated on you and examines you regularly is the best one to decide on a course of treatment.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Does slight redness on nose 3 weeks after Rhinoplasty with silicone graft mean infection?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and have frequently used the straight silicone dorsal grafts in both closed and open Rhinoplasty.  If one of my patients reported redness at anytime after the Rhinoplasty involving a silicone graft, I'd place that patient on a course of antibiotics after a thorough nasal exam both inside and out.  An infection must be ruled out.

Redness

+1

The answer to your question is maybe. You nd you surgeon need to watch very closely. Antibiotics may be of help. But, if the situation progresses, the implant needs to come out.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD