Slight Light Brown Splotches 4 Days Post IPL

HI there. i received a photofacial 4 days ago. I have noticed a slight light brown splotching on both sides of my face ever since the treatment...kind of near my jaw. within the splotch i have darker spots which seem to be just the sun damage that was there prior to treatment. i know it's normal for the actual sun spots to get darker then flake off. i was wondering if the lighter hue of light brown was normal. it looks like tiny little specs that create a light hue

Brown and Splotchy after IPL

+1

Hi Gina~

It's very common and normal after IPL to not only have your brown spots look browner and darker (or even gray) but the overall skin, especially the jawline and forehead, to have an overall more splotchy brown, grayish or even dirty appearance.  Soon you'll notice those areas getting dry and flakey and you'll probably notice the skin start to roll off under your fingers when you cleanse.  Sounds like you're on the right path.  Don' pick or peel at flakes or brown areas and don't scrub. It will come off on its own.  And definitely don't forget your sunscreen.  Your new skin will be a little more sensitive when it peels.  Hope that helps

Dr. Grant Stevens                  Marina del Rey, CA              Marina Plastic Surgery                  The Institute

Increased brown spots after IPL may be a sign of success.

+1

Hi Gina,

It's possible the collection of tiny brown spots that are making up the light brown patches, are actually just very tiny granules of pigmentation being brought to the surface as they are discarded from your skin due to a successful IPL treatment. Sometimes IPL brings out brown you couldn't see before, on its way to going away. This may be a great sign.

Make sure to totally protect from the sun, and wait 2 or 3 weeks to see if these brown spots start to fade away again. Don't forget to stack on a second IPL treatment to ensure greater long term success.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH