Will Slight Lactation Cause Infection with Breast Augmentation?

I've been on Parlodel to stop the lactation but I still have a slight leak. I stopped nursing 5 months ago. My surgery is scheduled in 4 days. I started taking 5 mg of the Rx 9 days before surgery. Would a slight lactation leak cause infection with breast augmentation?

Risk of infection with breast augmentation (implants) soon after pregnancy and cessation of lactation and nursing

+3

Certainly there would be a higher risk of infection. Most prophylactic antibiotics are administered immediately prior (30-60 minutes) to surgery to be most effective. Longer intervals of therapy prior to surgery could promote the emergence of a resistant bacteria.

Even if infection does not occur there is an increased risk of colonization and biofilm formation.

The risk of transecting breast tissue will be lower if you use a crease incision when compared to an areolar incision.

Lactation and increased risk with breast augmentation?

+2

I don't know of any evidence that lactation leads to a higher incidence of infection with breast augmentation, but there may be a concern with capsular contracture. Current thinking attributes this to what is called a "subclinical" infection, caused by bacteria from the skin and milk ducts coming in contact with the implant. If the surgery is done so that there is no contact with the breast milk then you should be fine. The inframammary incision might be best in this case, although I think in general the periareolar incision is a good choice.

Richard Baxter, MD

Lactation and augmentation

+2

I'm sure there have been no studies so let's think about it.

1. Lactation means that the milk glands are still making some milk and the ducts are open to allow the milk to come out. We sometimes find the same type of thing in fibrocystic breasts and we still do breast augmentations in those patients.

2. One of the advantages of putting implants under the muscle is that there is less contact with breast tissue so less possible contamination from bacteria that could get into the breast through the ducts. So if you do go ahead perhaps it would be better to go under the muscle.

3. You could always wait until you are completely milk free and not worry about any of it but I think you will be OK.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Lactation at time of Breast Augmentation

+2

Lactation may or may not be a risk for you. I occasionally see this before, during, or after augmentation. Obviously, I would prefer the breasts to be dry. However, I would recommend a broad spectrum antibiotic like augmentin or perhaps clindamycin before and after surgery. You should be fine. Good luck.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Lactation and breast surgery

+2

While not ideal, I don't think that a minor degree of lactation should necessarily increase your risk of infection from a breast augmentation surgery.  I will be interested in reading the responses of the other doctors.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Lactation and breast augmentation

+1

You are at higher risk for an infection given the lactation history. Most surgeons use antibiotics before and after regardless of the risk factors, but you may need to delay your surgery or have a longer antibiotic regimen. I would suggest discussing this with your surgeon as soon as possible. Infections can sometimes be very minor, but in the worst case scenario you might need to have the implants removed. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Slight lactation with breast augmentation has risk

+1

There is a risk with slight lactation after breast augmentation, so antibiotic therapy should be started if any lactation occurs. Why take the risk? Regards and good luck!

Breast Augmentation and Lactation

+1

I do not feel that a small amount of lactation at the time of your breast augmentation will produce any significant problems. It is unlikely that there is any bacteria in the fluid. Furthermore, I and most plastic surgeons would give antibiotics routinely at the time of surgery which is done to prevent infection.

John Whitt, MD