Slight Heart Murmur and Optical Brain Tumor. Is It Safe to Have a Tummy Tuck?

I have a slight heart murmur and a optical brain tumor but I want to have a tummy tuck. I've been taking medication over 4 years to shrink my tumor, it is working and I have no side effects to it. My heart murmur gives me absolutely no problems and I am quite healthy. I've had other surgeries like taking my appendix out, hernia removal with no problems. Do you think it will be safe to have a tummy tuck?

Medical Clearance to be Safe

+2

The first priorities in elective cosmetic surgery must always be safety.

Even with the conditions you describe, a tummy tuck is feasible, but only with the evaluation and agreement of your internist and neurologist.

Your plastic surgeon will want to coordinate closely with your medical doctors to be certain that your experience is safe and without undue risks. This might also affect whether the procedure is done out-patient or in-hospital.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Multiple medical problems and elective tummy tuck surger

+1

It PROBABLY would be safe but you should consultt with all your physicans (cardiologsti, oncologist, internist, surgeon, etc) as well as the anesthesiologsi prior to surgery. Ultimately this entails risk and only you can diecide on your risk tolerance oncle the information has been reviewd.

Tummy tuck

+1
Whether you can have this done depends on the doctors who are currently treating your brain tumor and caring for your heart murmur.It sounds like you have a  heart murmur that doesn't compromise you cardiac function.Before you have any surgery your primary care/cardiologist and your neurosurgeon need to be on the same page and give you medical clearance.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Is it Safe to have a Tummy Tuck with current Health Problems?

+1

I would say yes it's safe as long as your physician clears you with the required tests before your surgery and you are having no current problems from these issues. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Light Heart Murmur and Optical Brain Tumor. Is It Safe to Have a Tummy Tuck

+1

I would require a full medical/neurologic clearance before I would preform a complete tummy tuck on you. I might require an in hospital stay. Otherwise a slight heart murmur does not preclude doing any type of cosmetic surgery. 

+1

Regarding: "Slight Heart Murmur and Optical Brain Tumor. Is It Safe to Have a Tummy Tuck?

I have a slight heart murmur and a optical brain tumor but I want to have a tummy tuck. I've been taking medication over 4 years to shrink my tumor, it is working and I have no side effects to it. My heart murmur gives me absolutely no problems and I am quite healthy. I've had other surgeries like taking my appendix out, hernia removal with no problems. Do you think it will be safe to have a tummy tuck?"

There are millions of Americans with "innocent" heart murmurs (those which have no or little clinical significance. However, Plastic surgeons have long laid down their stethoscopes and , for your safety, most would require that an internist or cardiologist verify that it would be safe to operate on you.

I am not aware of an "optical brain tumor". You may either be referring to a schwanoma of the optic nerve (a tumor involving the lining of the optic nerve) or more likely a pituitary tumor whose growth compresses the optic nerve interfering withe side vision. The vast majority of the last tumors are benign and may be handled without surgery. If this is the case, barring any other medical issues, it should not stop you from having a Tummy Tuck.

Dr. Peter Aldea