Slight Nostril Asymmetry One Year After Primary Open Rhinoplasty. Will It Correct Itself?

Hi, I had the procedure done in July of last year. Im pleased with the outcome in general so far, however one of my nostrils is slightly more pinched than the other. When i first come out of surgery, the left nostril was a tiny slit and has opened somewhat since then, but is still small. What is interesting is the fact that the doctor cut the septum but also cut the base of the left nostril as well. Does this explain the smaller size and tightness of the left nostril? Thanks in advance.

Rhinoplasty - asymmetric nostrils

+1

Most people have slightly asymmetric nostrils. You may want to review your pre-op photos with your surgeon to see if you had asymmetry prior to surgery.  From what you describe as the second cut - your surgeon may have adjusted the size of that particular nostril. Regardless, if you have any concerns, you should definitely talk to your rhinoplasty surgeon since only they know what they did operatively. I'm sure he or she will be happy to discuss with you any questions you may have.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Nostril Asymmetry

+1

Even though it has been 1 year since your rhinoplasty, I get the impression the improvement continues. If this is the case, continue to observe until the appearance does not change and then consider revision. You say that one nostril is "slightly pinched" - I'll play devil's advocate and question your expectations.

Nosril asymmetry

+1

Whith rhinoplasty, you can expect improvement for up to two years post op.  At this point in the recovery, you should see some improvement, though probably not much.  There can be a number of reasons for the pinched tip look, so I won't hazard a guess without exam.  I would say that if this asymmetry bothers you, you may need a small revision, and possibly a small graft to support the nostril rim.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Rhinoplasty and nasal alar changes

+1

As mentioned before, if you are generally happy with your open rhinoplasty result then I would leave things alone.  If you have incisions at the base of the nostril, then most likely the nostril was addressed.  It is possible to make the alar smaller but to not change the nostril size.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Nostril asymmetry after rhinoplasty.

+1

If the asymmetry is minor leave it alone. No one sees this view and you are probably the only one who sees it. Otherwise discuss this with your surgeon.