Sliding Genioplasty or a Third Chin Implant? (photo)

I am 59 years old and have a receding chin since day one. First implant was in 1985, second in 1989. Both shifted. The pictures taken is how I look with the second implant now. I've never been happy with the result wanting a stronger jaw line, a more pleasing profile. I've been told the sliding genioplasty would also take up the slack of loose skin under my jaw. Would I achieve what I desire best with a sliding genioplasty and do the risks outweigh the gain? Or should I try yet another implant.

Sliding Genioplasty or a Third Chin Implant?

+2

Thanks for the detailed med/surg history and the series of posted photos. In your specific case I would only recommend in person evaluations and you need a mandibular/facial work up. That includes a panorex X ray, scan of the facial skeleton, measurements. Than whether a sliding genioplasty vs an extended pores chin implant would determined. 

Genioplasty vs chin implant

+1

Assuming your teeth align properly, either an implant or a genioplasty could give you the results you wanted in experienced hands.

With two prior, longstanding chin implants, you will likely have erosion of the bone of your chin and may not have enough bone stock to give you the projection you would like - an implant may be your only option.  A panorex x-ray will let you know if this is the case.

I'd recommend looking at the American Society for Maxillofacial Surgeons website to find a plastic surgeon who does genioplasties and can walk you through your specific case.

In experienced hands, a sliding genioplasty is a short procedure with good long term aesthetics that lacks the complications of chin implants - infection/malposition/movement.  

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Chin implant or sliding genioplasty

+1

I would recommend an implant exchange for an implant that will give you more anterior projection. With modern anatomic implants and subperiosteal techniques, shifting really is not a problem. Sliding genioplasty is a much bigger procedure with many more risks and may not give you superior results.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation

+1

You should have an extended silastic chin-jowl implant inserted by someone with lots of experience with this procedure.    Sliding genioplasty is a much more difficult procedure with far more cost and potential risk. I just presented a talk on this very same subject at our annual symposium in Las Vegas and we discussed patients with similar situations 

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon