Does a sliding genioplasty always make the chin more pointy, or can it retain/achieve a square shape?

I'm a male in my 20s and I'm considering a sliding genioplasty to achieve greater chin width and length. I would not like to go for chin implants because they detract from bone over time, which is a risk given my age. However, I've read that sliding genioplasty sometimes make the chin more pointy / narrow, which I don't want - I want to achieve a more masculine look from both a frontal and a side view. Is it true that sliding genioplasties tend to decrease the squareness of the chin?

Sliding Genioplasty and Chin Width

+1

You are correct in that a sliding genioplasty will usually make the chin a little more narrow as the front arc of the jaw is brought out further. The only way to get around that anatomic reality is to either do a square chin implant overlay or do a widening osteotomy of the advancing bony chin segment.