Should I have a sliding genioplasty? Would moving the bone make the chin that much of a difference? (Photo)

I want my chin to be more prominent. Will a sliding genioplasty help? Will it look unnatural or change as I age?

Should I have a sliding genioplasty? Would moving the bone make the chin that much of a difference?

+1
  Either chin implant or genioplasty is appropriate, and each have advantages.

Genioplasty Slide or Jump

+1
I typically would prefer to do an osseous genioplasty in a younger patient.  

A chin with excess vertical height and inadequate projection can cause mental strain, or difficulty closing the mouth.  

I often prefer to do a sliding or "jumping" genioplasty to correct this.  A jumping or oblique sliding genioplasty can decrease the vertical height and increase the overall chin projection.  I find this to not only augment the chin, but to re-establish harmony amongst the facial proportions. 

In many circumstances, a chin implant will give an excellent result.  I prefer to use them in a patient of skeletal maturity.  

In the case of a chin with excess vertical height, I would favor an osseous genioplasty. 

Joshua Lampert, MD

Genioplasty?

+1
You appear to be a good candidate for a chin implant or a genioplasty.  The implant is easier, faster, more affordable and easily reversible.  Different surgeons have different methods and there is no single easy answer.  I would want to do a face to face exam and obtain some imaging to see the bone and teeth.  I would probably favor an implant.

Joe Niamtu, III DMD
Cosmetic Facial Surgery
Richmond, Virigina

Joseph Niamtu, III, DMD
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Sliding Genioplasty For Young Patients With Short Chins

+1
For young people, a sliding genioplasty can be a better choice than a chin implant. Moving the bone forward, once healed, will never change as one ages and can never cause any bone or soft tissue problems. With a chin deficiency like yours, a sliding genioplasty can vertically shorten your chin as it comes and correct lip incompetence which an implant can not really do very well. For a female a sliding genioplasty will also make the chin more narrow not wider as it comes forward while a chin implant will do the opposite.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Genioplasty

+1
a sliding genioplasty in your situation would be ideal since it allows both the profile and frontal tissue esthetic changes. It will shorten the chin height and give you good full chin contour. It does 'last' and you need not worry about long term changes. You should be very pleased overall

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon