How Does a Sliding Genioplasty for Chin Length Heal?

I am interested in getting a sliding genioplasty to improve lack of chin projection and more importantly lack of chin length. I am curious how this heals though. I am aware that the bone is anchored with a titanium plate, but will new bone grown in between the cut bone, even in a lengthening sliding genioplasty? I am assuming there will be a gap. Also, if bone does grow in between can you have the plates eventually removed? Thanks!

Healing after sliding genioplasty (osteotomy)

+1

The good news about genioplasty healing is that actually new bone forms to heal the surfaces back together making it relatively strong compared to healing of most other bodily tissues that heal with a scar.  Glad to help...RAS 

Healing and Plate Fixation of A Sliding Genioplasty

+1

Sliding geniplasties, or chin osteotomies, eventually heal by bone filling in the gap. The plate is merely to hold the new chin position in place as the bone fills in which is a process that generally takes 3 to 6 months to fully form and heal solidly. Often the plate becomes partially or completely covered by bone. I have yet to see a reason or a need to ever remove a chin osteotomy plate. It is the one facial area where metal hardware never poses any long-term problems or need for secondary removal. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD