Sliding Genioplasty vs Chin Implant. Can a patient try the Chin Implant first, then add Sliding Genioplasty later if required?

I have a receding jaw which is very aysymmetrical. I went through the orthodontic treatment for 2 years in prep for the lower jaw surgery to bring lower jaw forward. However the Surgeon had to stop during surgery because my jaw bone was too thin. (I don't understand how he didn't pick this up on scans) That was 15 years ago, and it was devastating , so much so that it's only now that I can allow myself to hope and look at alternative procedures.

Update: braces 15 yrs ago with the view of moving my lower jaw forward, however the Surgeon had to stop during surgery because my bone was too thin..Till age 27, my face appeared symmetrical inc my nose .With pregnancies I vomited violently daily + I have had several back teeth removed and have gum and bone loss, maybe cause..Pls if you can offer advice for surgery I would eternally appreciate it. I so want to look ok and acceptable again.
(added photos)

Sliding Genioplasty vs Chin Implant. Can a patient try the Chin Implant first, then add Sliding Genioplasty later if required

+2

Given your history, a front and side view photo of you would help.  We do a lot of chin implant surgery and they have a very quick, easy recovery.  The look is great, assuming it is the correct procedure for you.  Send photos, and we can evaluate better.

Genioplasty vs chin implant

+2

Thank you for your question but without photos and an examination it is impossible to truly make an intelligent recommendation.  Both operations are goodin the appropriate setting.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Sliding Genioplasty vs. Chin Implant

+2
The decision between a sliding genioplasty vs. a chin implant is one that should be able to be determined beforehand. Just because you had a prior negative experience with jaw surgery due to 'thin bone' does not mean you could not successfuly have a sliding genioplasty however. One would have to see some pictures of your face or an assessment and more accurate answer as to which chin augmentation approach may be best for you.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin and jaw

+1
your surgeon may have had a  limited experience at that time. So it is reasonable to have your bite reassessed as well. A sliding genioplasty looks  natural and lengthens the neck line more than an implant. Implants create scar tissue and can change the shape of the front boney chin.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon