Sliding Genioplasty / Chin Implant and Contact Sports?

I am considering getting a sliding genioplasty / chin implant to improve the aesthetic appeal of my chin. However, I play a lot of contact sports at a high level. I am involved in boxing, wrestling, and soccer. I compete at high levels in all of these sports. I am wondering if it would still be possible to get a procedure done, knowing that I will eventually return to contact sports after the recovery. After the bones are finished regrowing in a slding genio, could I still play sports? Thx

Sliding genioplasty and contact sports

+1

Once the bones complete their healing you should be able to return to contact sports without a problem. It will take several months for this to occur. There would be less downtime from your sports activities with a chin implant as there are no bone cuts made with this procedure.

Contact Sports and Sliding Genioplasty

+1

There would be no problem returning to contact sports activity six months after a sliding genioplasty when the bone is well healed.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Sliding genioplasty or chin implant and contact sports

+1

A sliding genioplasty procedure is much different than a chin implant.  A chin implant is a small silastic wafer inserted in the anterior portion of the chin to give a cosmetic improvement.  A sliding genioplasty is actually breaking the mandible and setting it forward.  It is certainly acceptable to resume sports 2 weeks after a chin implant, but it is probably best to wait at least 2 months after a sliding genioplasty surgery.  A sliding genioplasty is typically performed as an inpatient procedure with a hospital stay and performed under general anesthesia.  A chin implant surgery can be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.