Sleeve Gastrectomy and Vitamins

My doctor has recommended me for VSG but he said I will need vitamins for the rest of my life too. I don't understand this because I thought the VSG was a reduction surgery, not malabsorption. Can you please explain why this is?

Vitamins and Minerals and Surgery, Oh My!

+6

Almost all of the vitamins and minerals that we get come from our food.  Couple this with the knowledge of what is in the standard American diet and you can see why many experts recommend that EVERY adult take a daily multivitamin even if they have never had weight loss surgery!. 

After weight loss surgery (regardless of what surgery is done), patients take in significantly less food so they REALLY need to make sure they are taking taking their vitamin and mineral supplements to prevent deficiencies.  Although the exact vitamin and mineral regimen that weight loss surgery patients need is still being debated, I think it is fair to say that the need for some type of supplementation is universally accepted.  

Corpus Christi Bariatric Surgeon

Sleeve Gastrectomy and Vitamins

+3

With all bariatric procedures a daily multivitamin is necessary. It is true that the sleeve gastrectomy is not a malabsorptive procedure however due to the fact that you are eating 80 to 90% less you may become vitamin deficient.  You may not be able to get enough vitamins in with the small amount that you eat. The LapBand also requires a daily multivitamin for that reason.

David Buchin, MD
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Vitamin Supplements for Gastric Sleeve patients

+1

While it is true that gastric sleeve does not interfere with normal absorption process, but you may require to take vitamin supplements because you may have a less intake of your normal daily portion of food. Just by the nature of surgery, you will be eating less and thus there is lower intake of vitamins and minerals. Among different weight loss surgeries, lap band and gastric sleeve patients are less likely to require daily supplements.

Monali Misra, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Bariatric Surgeon

Sleeve Gastrectomy and Vitamins.

+1

It is recommeded to take a multivitamin for patients that had a sleeve gastrectomy.  Even though this procedure does not have significant impact on the overall absorptive funcition, the current standard is to supplement your body with these important nutrients to maximize cellular function. Even if you have not had weight loss surgery, I still recommed a multivitamin to make sure sure that your body is functioning optimally.

Ricardo M. Bonnor, MD, FACS
Houston Bariatric Surgeon