Does Sleeping on Your Face Cause Droopy Eyes or Uneven Eyes?

I slept on one side of my face for a long time and now that eye have become smaller and droopy. I tried sleeping on the other side and when I wake up the other eye was droopy but recovered throughout the day.

Sleeping Position and Droopy Eyes

+1

Genetics and certain lifestyles such as smoking, sun worshipping, excessive weight gain, or high stress are more likely to make droopy eyelids appear. Sleeping on your face isn't so much a huge factor usually. If it is a concern that bothers you, I recommend getting an examination by a qualified doctor who can better determine if you need treatment.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes...sleep position can affect eyelids

+1

Patients that have sleep apnea are predisposed to an eyelid problem called "floppy eyelid syndrome". As the name suggests, this causes the eyelids to be very loose, sometimes droopy, and often irritated.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

No its in your genetics

+1

Even people who sleep on their backs all night long get baggy eyelids.  It is mostly what you inherited from Mom or Dad and then a little bit from sun damage and squinting in the sun.  But after surgery for a few weeks you WILL need to sleep on your back not face down.

Phillip C. Haeck, MD

Sleeping on face and droopy lids

+1

Sleeping on your face can cause stretching of the tissues over time, especially in people with other disorders, such as sleep apnea.  You also may develop some dependent swelling around the eyes, which should resolve after you are upright for a while.  An oculoplastic surgeon can evaluate your eyelids and counsel you on any changes you are experiencing.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon