Will Sleeping Sideways Affect my Rhinoplasty Outcome?

I am 5 days post-op. Will sleeping on my side affect the outcome of the rhinoplasty? I have all my stitches and bandages removed.

Will sleeping sideways affect my rhinoplasty outcome?

+1

Sleeping with the head elevated for the first week after surgery would be ideal. It will help minimize swelling. Sleeping on your side will not affect the overall outcome, but may cause you to swell more. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as they may have specific guidelines they would like you to follow. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Sleeping position and rhinoplasty

+1

Sleeping on your side as long as you are not leaning on your nose should not be a problem.  Just be careful during this early post-op period. Good luck.

Sleeping on your side after rhinoplasty

+1

Your sleeping position shouldn't affect the long term outcome of your rhinoplasty.  Obviously, you should avoid sleeping with any pressure on your nose, like on your stomach.  Sleeping elevated on a few pillows for the first 10 days can help the immediate swelling subside faster.  So even if you are on your side, if your head is elevated, that will help.  If you notice that you consistently sleep on one side, you may notice that that side may be more swollen in the morning, but that should even out through the day.

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping Position and Rhinoplasty Outcome

+1

Sleeping position in large part cannot be controlled and neither can repositioning throughout the night.  Do the best you can.  I would not worry about it.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA