What's the Best Sleeping Position for Someone with Breast Implants?

Is it normal for breast implants to fall to the side when I lie on my back? For example when I get up in the morning they seem to be further apart. One of my friend said her doctor gave her a band to wear over the surgical bra for sleeping at night. My doctor didn't do anything like that for me.

Sleeping position can damage your breast augmentation results

+2

Sleeping on you side without a supportive bra can encourage your implants to migrate down and out especially in the first few months after surgery before the pocket is fully mature.  Some patients also have outwardly angling chest walls that predispose to this problem.  

Breast implants are subject to gravity

+2

Breast implants do move out to the side when patients sleep on their backs. Depending on how the procedure was done, the extent of this 'lateralization' can be minimized. I ask my patients to sleep on their backs for a few weeks after surgery.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Sleeping after surgery

+1
I normally recommend patients sleep on their side or back.

The first weeks following breast augmentation are an important stage of your recovery. Because of this, it’s essential for patients to wear a bra that provides support for the breasts throughout the first eight weeks of recovery, preventing the implants from falling to the sides or "bottoming out" (when the implants move unfavourably downward). Although this complication isn’t common, some patients develop weaker scar tissue, providing less internal support for the implant. Surgeons are unable to determine who is at risk for this issue until implant displacement occurs. Wearing a bra helps to provide extra support during the healing process. In addition, some patients may receive extra support from a tensor bandage, wrapped around the chest at the top of the breasts. This bandage would be worn for the first two weeks. You should be wearing a good supportive bra day and night for the first 8 weeks after surgery. Please ask your surgeon if this is a good idea, as they may have different guidelines. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Sleeping after breast augmentation

+1

Support for breast implants is important during the first four weeks after surgery.  After that point the implant pockets are pretty much "set" and most patients can wear and do whatever is comfortable.  Implants that move around too much reside in over dissected pockets that need to be revised.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Implants falling to the side

+1

I tell patients that if they feel more comfortable sleeping in a supportive bra after the first month, they can but it is not mandatory. The implants may fall out to the side when sleeping on your back - but if they bother you, then it is best to discuss with your surgeon to see if possibly placing some internal sutures would help.

Question about implants falling to the side.

+1

The natural tendency is for implants to fall to the side and for the cleavage to wide over time. However, the implants can certainly fall too far. Some things that can make this worse are a large pocket, lateral massage of the implants and ( I believe) saline implants. If it is bothering you, talk to your surgeon. The outside pocket can be closed to improve the situation. Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon