Will I Be Able to Sleep on my Side After Asian Rhinoplasty?

What position is recommended during recovery from Asian rhinoplasty and for how many days? Is the position important to keep the swelling to a minimum, or drainage, or both?

Optimal sleeping position after Asian rhinoplasty

+1

For the first 2 weeks after surgery, keeping your head elevated (above the level of your heart) by sleeping on 2-3 pillows will help minimize the swelling of your nose.

Try to Sleep With Head Elevated After Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Sleeping with your head elevated for a week or two after surgery helps swelling  and discomfort. Getting a good night's sleep after surgery can be a little tough for some patients, especially if they are anxious about rolling onto their side or face. See the info below which provides some tips on how to get a good nights sleep after your rhinoplasty.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best position to sleep after Asian rhinoplasty

+1

I tell my rhinoplasty patients to sleep with their head elevated at least a couple weeks after surgery to help reduce their nasal swelling. This can be done with a recliner or several pillows in bed.

You can read my link below to find out other ways to decrease your nasal swelling after rhinoplasty

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Sleep position after Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Head elevation for the first week, and then sleeping on your back is best. Avoid pressure on the nose for 3 weeks after surgery, longer if possible.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

+1

After surgery, keeping the head elevated prevents the accumulation of excess swelling in the tissues. The first few nights are spent best in either a recliner or with at least 3 pillows in bed. Positionally minimizing swelling is more comfortable for the patient. Side sleeping may put pressure on the nose and cause discomfort.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon