Will sleep position help drain swelling faster 5 months post-op? (photo)

I had septo/rhinoplasty on may 30 2013. I have noticed a small decrease in swelling but I am still not happy with the overall nose since the bridge looks a little wide and my tip/supratip is still hard as a rock and the area where my hump used to be still hurts when i touch it. I have been sleeping on my stomach with 2 pillows the past 3 months or so. Will sleeping more of an upright position on my backside or side help with swelling?

Swelling after rhinoplasty

I do not believe that much can be done to speed up residual edema resolution at 5 months post op. The tissues take at least a year to normalize. Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Swelling postoperatively?

Not sure exactly what was done to the your nose other than what you describe, but it is very normal to have swelling after a rhinoplasty for even up to a year or so after the surgery. Elevation of the head at night may help a bit.

Speak with your rhinopasty surgeon about your concerns; I'm sure he/she can help reassure you.

James R. Bruno, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon