Have You Ever Seen Sleep Apnea Improved or Even Cured After Neck Liposuction?

I am only 15 - 20 lbs. overweight and have been diagnosed as having sleep apnea pretty much all my life. I am a 41 year old woman. Told I am in the minority of sleep apnea sufferers and that my apnea is severe. Three pulmonologists have told me that they cannot tell me why I have it and that surgery is not an option. Neck has always been thick, even at 120 lbs. Want lipo on neck anyway, just wondering if it might help apnea. Any input would be appreciated...

Neck liposuction and sleep apnea

Snoring and sleep apnea are part of a spectrum of syndromes called sleep disordered breathing. This syndrome is comprised of snoring, upper airway resistance syndrome (UARS), and obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). OSA is a syndrome not a disease and the specific etiology is unknown. However, it is largely secondary to anatomic upper airway narrowing during sleep and a yet unidentified central nervous system (CNS) component. Dr. RL Goode performed a study evaluating liposuction in patients with OSA. Liposuction is not a treatment for sleep apnea. However, there are numerous surgeries that can help improve OSA. 

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

555 East Basse Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78209

Sleep Apnea

Neck liposuction will not improve sleep apnea.  Sleep apnea occurs due to mechanical obstruction in the glottic and sub glottic areas and not from external subcutaneous or preplatysmal neck fat.

John Burns, MD

9101 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75231

Sleep apnea is not expected to improve after neck liposuction

In sleep apnea, there may be an obstruction in the air passageway between the nose and the area below the throat, not in the fatty tissues above the muscle and underneath the skin of the neck.  Therefore, reduction of the fat volume in the neck should not contribute to easier air movement and the sleep apnea should not improve.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Liposuction - Correction of Sleep Apnea?

Hi teachfish70 in Cape Coral, FL,

I am unaware of liposuction ever having had an effect on sleep apnea.  The amount and distribution of the fat to be removed would not, in my opinion, be a significant contributing factor for sleep apnea (though I am not an expert in that particular diagnosis).  During your procedure you would need either general anesthesia or careful control of the airway if sedation is being used (though both are indicated for all patients!) and I would probably advise having an anesthesiologist present for the procedure, even if you choose to have it under local anesthesia alone.

In short, I do not know of a correlation between sleep apnea and liposuction of the chin/submental region.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

122 East 64th Street
New York, NY 10065

Sleep apnea and neck lipo

To my knowledge I do not have a case of sleep aopnea that was cured or improved with liposuction.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

3700 Central Avenue
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Neck fat, liposuction, and sleep apnea

I happen to have sleep apnea as well and therefore I'm more knowledgeable about it than the average plastic surgeon. Unfortunately, liposuction of subcutaneous fat in the neck will not help but should not be a problem to do even with sleep apnea as it can be done with local anesthesia. 

The problem in sleep apnea is identifying the cause and seeing if it's treatable. Most sleep apnea is caused by mechanical obstruction of the airway somewhere in the oropharynx (back of the nose/mouth to the windpipe) that closes off because of position or relaxation of muscles during sleep. There is also apparently a type that is caused by central brain function which is not currently treatable. Weight is not the problem and liposuction doesn't address weight anyway. Prolonged sleep apnea apparently results in increased cardiac risk so I would recommend continuing to look for causes and possible treatments and treating it by external breathing assist methods.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

400 S McCaslin Blvd
Boulder, CO 80303

Neck fat and sleep apnea

There is absolutely no correlation between neck fat and sleep apnea.  You need to have a sleep study and full exam by a ENT surgeon which will determine the source of your sleep apnea.  It may be due to pathology in your soft palate or tonsils, or obesite or a combination of all three.  A full evaluation is needed prior to diagnosis and treatments that are recommended.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

1620 S Congress Ave
Palm Springs, FL 33461

Neck Liposuction Should Not Improve Sleep Apnea

Sleep apnea has many anatomic causes but excess fat in the neck has never been shown to be one of them. The only relationship between neck fat and an obstructed upper airway is proximity. On the other hand, there is no negative effect of neck liposuction on sleep apnea so it would be interesting to see if there was any improvement...as remote as that chance would seem to be.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

There is no relationship between sleep apnea and the reduction of fat in the neck by liposuction.  Sleep apnea is a disorder characterized by abnormal pauses in breathing or instances of abnormally low breathing, during sleep.  Excess fat in the neck is not a contributory cause of sleep apnea.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

6315 Sheridan Dr
Williamsville, NY 14221

Probably not.

The fat under the skin in the neck is not the cause of sleep apnea so I doubt removing some of it would change anything.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

630 South Glassell
Orange, CA 92866