How Do I Sleep After my BA?

I just got my BA done the other day..and I notice that while sleeping flat on my back my implants seems to get more tighter than ever...and they itches so much..is this normal???

Position for sleeping after breast augmentation

+1

The most comfortable position for sleeping after surgery of the breasts is on your side. The itching can be from the medication you are taking or the skin prep. Wash your skin. If that does not help call your surgeon.

Sleeping after a breast augmentation

+1

Follow your surgeon's instructions the best you can.  If sleeping on your back is really difficult, try a reclining chair with lots of pillows.  I also tell my patients that they can experiment with a body pillow which can make back and side sleeping much more comfortable.  As for the itching, if it's the incisions that itch it is likely just the natural healing process.  If you itch all over, it's a reaction to one of your meds.  Talk to your surgeon about it.  You may need to change meds. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

How do I sleep after a Breast Augmentation?

+1

I am not sure about the itching but that is likely no big deal at all. There are many things that can cause itching such as wound healing or even the narcotic medication you might be taking for pain control. You are fresh out of surgery so you do not want to sleep on your tummy or even your sides here in the beginning. You should ask you surgeon what their preferences are for you sleeping activity. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Sleeping after Breast Augmentation

+1

Normally after Breast Augmentation most of our patients feel better when sleeping on their backs elevated with pillows, like in a half way sitting position. For them not to feel bothered by the weight of the implants.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

Sleeping on your back is preferable in most cases but I will often let patient lie on their side if they feel comfortable.  Best to talk to your surgeon.

Sleep on your back after breast augmentation

+1
Sleeping on your back is the preferred position. Try to use several pillows to raise you up. Contact your plastic surgeon to discuss the itching; this can be from allergy to surgical tape, the prepping solution or medication.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Sleeping options after a breast augmentation

+1

Sleeping in the initial period after a breast augmentation can be difficult, especially if you are a stomach sleeper.  Sleeping on your back is the best option.  Sometimes, using several pillows can help.  The weight of the implants can be uncomfortable lying completely flat on your back.  Over the next couple of weeks, the discomfort will go away as your surrounding tissues accommodate to the size of the implants.  Itching after surgery can be a normal response to healing.  However, if there is a rash or some redness, you may have an allergic reaction to one of your medications or possibly skin glue on your incision if it was used.  Check with your surgeon.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Sleep post BBA

+1

Sleeping on your back is your best option in the early post-op period.  Sleeping on your side is your next best option.  I tell my patients that sleep will be an issue in the first few weeks, as you now have weights on your chest which can make breathing difficult.  Your chest shape will also change as the implants literally make a groove in the chest wall.  These changes may explain your subjective experience.  

As for the itchiness, you should see your plastic surgeon.  Itchiness around the incision is expected, but generalized itching is not.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

How Do I Sleep After my BA?

+1

Sleeping on your back is the best option. A recliner may work better than lying flat in bed.

Itching may be normal, but also would be a finding of allergy to either a medication, the bra, the prep solution used at surgery, etc. Some of these would be accompanied by a rash of some sort. 

Benadryl might help with the itch--it may accentuate any sleepiness you feel from the other medicines. 

A call to your surgeon with these questions is appropriate. 

Thanks and best wishes. 

Sleeping after an augment

+1

There is no perfect way to sleep after a breast augmentation. Many patients sleep in a recliner or with several pillows to keep their head elevated and prevent rolling over. However, the soreness that you now have should resolve after a couple days and sleeping will become easier. 

As for the itching, this is a common sensation after any surgery. As part of the inflammation and healing process, certain chemicals are released by the body which can make us itch. This too will resolve after a brief period of time. It is possible to have a variety of different sensations after a breast augmentation as your breasts heal. These resolve over time, but the duration can be variable.

Try to stay patient and be comforted by knowing that it is all temporary.

Hang in there.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon