Tear troughs to be injected with radiesse by occuloplastic surgeon?

I'm skeptical and nervous because pretty much everything I've read on tear trough injections says to use resyline. I will also get filler in my cheeks this time if I do it. Was told this is this surgeons "filler of choice" and he uses it in the eye area. This surgeon teaches classes on injectables apparently. I'm prone to bruising and worried about not feeling comfortable in public since I will have to be at work 12 hours later, but I'm mainly worried about looking like a freak for 3 years.

Radiesse for Tear Troughs?

+2

Hi 6890. Regardless of how experienced your injector is, Radiesse is not a great product for the tear trough area. It is a great product for the cheeks, which may be why he is suggesting it.

We would not use Radiesse under the eyes and would only choose a soft Hyaluronic acid based filler like Restylane or Juvederm.

If he will only offer radiesse under the eyes, then we would suggest finding another injector. It's just not worth the risk.

Radiesse in the tear troughs?

+2

Radiesse in the tear troughs is not usually recommended for a few reasons. First, the skin in this area is thin and a white filler, like Radiesse, may show through causing discoloration. Second, Radiesse can't be removed once replaced. Hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers like Juvederm, Restylane and Belotero can be dissolved if necessary with a second injection. Because the tear troughs are prone to swelling and other complications, it is good to know you have some recourse in the event it doesn't turn out well. I'd at least have a follow up discussion on the risks of each with your surgeon to ease your anxiety.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tear troughs to be injected with #Radiesse

+1

I would hesitate to recommend this. The tear troughs have unusually thin skin, even by comparison with other areas on the face and, as such, are likely to display irregularities to a noticeable degree. The better produce for this region, in my opinion, are the HAs, including, most commonly, Juvederm, Restylane/Perlane, and Belotero (products from Allergan, Medicis and Merz, respectively). They are softer and shorter lasting than Radiesse (which is somewhat of an advantage in a sense) and can also be neutralized with hyaluronidase injections.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Radiesse NOT for tear troughs

+1

With all due respect to your physician, Radiesse is not indicated for the tear trough area. It is excellent for the mid face and cheeks. Tear trough injections can yield very satifying results but also require the most skill to perform. I only use a hyaluronic acid filler like Restylane for treating this delicate area because the filler can be dissolved. If you have a bad result or complication with Radiesse, there is no way to dissolve it. Even good injectors can get into trouble treating the tear troughs. Make sure you doctor is extremely experienced in treating tear troughs as a lack of knowledge of the anatomy inclusing the blood vessels supplying this area can lead to severe problems, including blindness.

Vivian Bucay, MD, FAAD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse for tear troughs

+1

Personally, I do not use Radiesse in the tear trough area because it is a fairly firm filler and can cause some irregularity in the area because the skin is so thin under the eyes. I would recommend using one of the hyaluronic acid fillers (like Restylane) in the tear troughs because it is a gel and softer.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Radiesse is a great option to build volume and contour the cheek, though it's not recommended you use this as a filler to the tear troughs. There are great hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane that would provide you with a beautiful, smooth, end result.

Radiesee under the eyes

+1

Radiesse is not recommended for use in the tear trough region. If your injector plans to do it in the upper malar region, this is different, but you need to really clarify what area is being injected. I use Restylane in the tear trough region. There is a very good chance you will have bruising and swelling from fillers, so please be sure you understand that this beforehand!

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Radiesse in tear troughs, not recommended.

+1

Radiesse is a thick filler and will tend to show in the thin skin around the eye. It's great for filling the cheek, but not the area which is close to the eye. It also has a tendency to clump. So for tear troughs, Restylane or Belotero are the fillers I use. Also, to minimize downtime and the chance of bruising, I suggest using blunt cannulas for this treatment. Steve Weiner, MD, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Destin, Panama City, Florida.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Radiesse in tear troughs

+1

Radiesse is a filler that should only be placed deep, not right under the surface of the skin. Definitely ask to see some photographs of Radiesse in the areas that you are having injected

Jeffrey Hartog, MD