Can the Slack Areolar Skin Be Removed Between the Nipple and Edge of Areola?

Can slack areolar skin be removed between the nipple and within the border of the areola? I do not want implants and want the most minimal of scarring. I am happy with my natural breast shape and size but am bothered by the stretched out areola. Can this be done and how does the scarring result?

Reducing Areolar Size

+1

The width of the areola is reduced in breast lifts and breast reductions.  It can also be accomplished without the lift.  It involves removing a ring of skin aroung the outer edge and gathering it to the smaller size. We call that a purse string suture.  There are several ways to minimize the scarring, including use of a type of suture that is resistant to stretching and postoperative taping.  If you would like I would be happy to discuss details with you in person at your convenience.  Your consult fee will be waived if you mention Real Self.  

Treatment of loose areola skin around the nipples

+1

Loose or slack areolar skin can be tightened and the size of the areola reduced with an areola reduction surgery.  A donut shape of skin is removed within the edge of the areola and the incision is closed in a "purse string" fashion.  Although scars can vary among individuals, the scars around the areola wil usually fade within  6 to 12 months. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Nipple areola surgery

+1

Yes the “slack areolar skin” can be treated (excised) by performing areolar reduction. This procedure will serve to tighten the areola  skin and reduce the areola  size if so desired. The  resulting scar may very anywhere from a faint fine line to a wide unsightly (hypertrophic) scar. Other potential complications include  areola  asymmetry, loss of sensation, unsatisfactory cosmetic result (for example shape of areola)  and the potential for further surgery.

While making your decision whether to proceed with the surgery you must weigh the degree of dissatisfaction you have with your current situation  against the potential risks/complications possible.