Sculptra for Acne Scars

I have used others fillers for my severe acne scars, but want something more long term. I've already had dermabrasion, laser, and fat injections. Can Skulptra be used to fill my acne scars?

Sculptra for Acne Scars

+1

Acne scars can be very difficult to treat.  Sculptra can be used.  It will give similar results to what you've had with filler.  It requires at least 3 sessions, results appearing at 6 months, and lasting 2-5 years.

Sculptra for Acne Scars

+1

Sculptra, alone, helps acne scars only in an indirect way: By volumizing the skin (cheeks, temples, chin) the scars are less noticeable.

However, Sculptra can help in other ways:

For deep, rolled scars, we do subcision (to separate the skin from the subcutaneous fat adhesions) followed by Sculptra injection.

For large boxcar scars, we do punch elevation followed by Laser Resurfacing.

For Ice Pick scars, we use the CROS technique (Chemical Reduction of Scars) with a pointed tip dipped into 100% Trichloracetic Acid. (This requires a VERY experienced operator).

For most cases of Acne Scars, we use the Fractional Laser Resurfacing, and for severe cases we use the Traditional Laser Resurfacing.

Make sure that you are being treated by an experienced, Board Certified Dermatologist or PLastic Surgeon

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Sculptra for acne scars - patience and persistence is needed

+1

I have used Sculptra for acne and facial scarring with fairly good results. This involves injecting relatively small amounts of Sculptra into the base of the scars. You have to forgo the tendency to over-correct and have to have the patience to wait until the collagen stimulation is complete (usually 4-6 weeks) before re-treatment.

I plan the treatment first using Sculptra for the acne scars and then I use the remaining Sculptra to create overall facial volumization during each treatment session. 

I have also used Sculptra for acne scarring on the chest and back with better results than any other treatment to date.

These treatments are not for the inexperienced injector. I have been injecting Sculptra for over 6 years.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra can be part of armamentarium for acne scar revision

+1
Optimal acne scar revision must be customized based on individual needs and priorities. Loss of volume along cheeks, i.e. sunken cheeks accentuate existing acne scarring. Sculptra can be quite helpful to diminish appearance of acne scarring by stretching the skin. In addition, meticulous and vigorous massaging immediately after the Sculptra injection can facilitate collagen production around and within acne scarring. Ice-picked scarring should be punch excised. I have found performing Sculptra injection following Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing offers an additive benefit by further stimulating collagen production.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra cab be an effective treatment for acne scars with the right doctor

+1

Sculptra is not used as a filler for acne scars but does stimulate collagen. And, when used by a very experienced physician, it can be very effective for treating acne scars. You can learn more about Sculptra at their website.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sculptra for acne scars

+1

Sculptra can be used for acne scar improvement only if a diffuse cheek volume enhancement will help flatten the scars. If stretching the skin around the scars doesn't help lift them, then Sculpra won't give you the result you want.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Sculptra is not likely to be any better than the other fillers

+1

Sculptra is better for rebuilding deeper contours and we do not use it alone for acne scars.

Our preference for really deep scars is punch excision -Mixto deep laser-meticulous suture closure all done at the same time. 

We have not found anything better for "ice-pick" acne scars, but not everyone is a candidate for it if they still have active acne or have a dark complexion.

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon