I Have Skin Type 3/4 and Would Like to Do Laser Hair Removal. Is There a Difference Better Diode or the Nd:YAG?

I have thick black hair so am unsure which treatment is most effective? I understand that a longer wave length is more suitable as I have a darker skin but with regards to the hair type I was told that the alexandrite is the most effective. Considering my skin and hair type which one would you recommend?

Best laser choice for hair removal in darker skin

+1

In any cosmetic procedure, including hair removal, the avoidance of side effects is very important. The longer wavelength of the YAG penetrates more deeply and tends to spare the melanin in the skin. A laser burn can produce blistering and scarring, not a good tradeoff for hair removal. Ideally you'd want a laser that provides good skin cooling, to further protect the skin. Lasers that fire through a chilled sapphire plate provide better cooling than lasers that use a cooling spray or provide a chilled contact that must be moved when the laser is fired.

Stockton Dermatologic Surgeon