Is There an Option For a Skin Only Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I had a perfect stomach; even after my 1st pregnancy. Now, I just had twins 3 mths ago & there's so much excess skin on my upper & lower abdomen (the muscles all seen to be intact). I have just 11 more lbs to lose. Am I a candidate for a skin only abdominoplasty w/o touching the muscles? Also, if I was to proceed with the surgery would it be ok to have another baby 3 yrs from now if the muscles are excluded from the surgery? I understand it may be best to wait, but I'd rather get this resolved.

TT

+1

Sounds like you know exactly what you want and you understand the limitations of not having a muscle repair as well as the drawbacks of not waiting for your final child. Given your understanding of your anatomy and desires I think your demands are reasonable

Abdominoplasty after child birth

+1

Based on the picture that came with your question if that is your abdomin and you are planning to have another child in three years I recomend that you not have any procedure until after the last child you plan on having. When an abdominoplasty is done after a having a baby the muscles are separated and it you had twins they are likely much further apart and a muscle plication is almost always benificial .

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Muscle Plication?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

If I were you,  especially after a twin pregnancy,  I would have the muscle plication  performed during the tummy tuck procedure. Do not compromise the end results of the procedure.

The abdominal wall muscle plication is an important part of most tummy tuck procedures. This plication  serves to reappriximate  the rectus muscles in the midline,  tightening the abdominal wall as well as narrowing the waistline. Sometimes, plication  of the external oblique muscles can also be helpful.

Tummy Tuck After Twin Pregnancy

+1

The decision as to whether or not to have a muscle repair with tummy tuck should always be in the hands of the patient with input from your surgeon.  Having said that, it would be very unusual not to benefit from a muscle repair after a twin pregnancy.  I would also recommend waiting until child bearing is completed vbefore having your tummy tuck.

John Whitt, MD

+1

Yes there is, but based upon the one photo I can not answer exactly. Seek in person opinions from boarded PSs in your area. 

It is best to wait for a real tummy tuck

+1

A skin only Tummy Tuck would have a mediocre result now and could compromise a beautiful result later. It is best to wait until you are done with children. At that time your belly could be treated correctly tightening the muscles and skin. You can take advantage of the C-section scar for a great result.

Richard D. Nadal, MD
San Juan Plastic Surgeon

Just wait

+1

Thanks for your excellent question.  Congratulations on your growing family!  The last pregnancy placed a toll on your body which is obvious in your pictures.  A skin only abdominoplasty is always an acceptable option, but a future pregnacy probably will cause more skin as well.  I never perform muscle repair if a patient  desires future children.  Frankly, you should just wait till after you have had your last child and by the way have the muscle repaired as well-the best part of a tummy tuck is restoring the waistline.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Skin-only tummy tuck not a good idea

+1

Almost every woman who has had children needs the muscles tightened and even more so after twins. It is much better to wait to have an abdominoplasty until you are completely through with child bearing.

Donna Rich, MD

Tummy tuck after twins

+1

It is unlikely that you would benefit by a skin only tummy tuck after twin births.  The muscles and fascia are likely quite flaccid.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

All surgeries, especially tummy tucks, should be customized to an individual's desires and anatomy. I especially believe that muscle tightening can be over-done. It will often lead to excess pain and possible risk of shallow breathing, pulmonary complications and increased risk of deep vein thrombosis. If it won't contribute significantly to the result, it doesn't have to be done. Timing of the surgery should take into consideration your lifestyle, relative weight, health, and stability of your anatomy. If you have significant weight to lose or plan to get pregnant again soon, the result of a tummy tuck may be short-lived not worth it.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD